Hot water beach and Cathedral Cove


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » North Island » Coromandel » Hahei
September 19th 2009
Published: October 8th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Vera and I made some breakfast and then packed up and piled all our stuff into the car and then drove over to the mall where the stray bus would pick us up again. I bought a book and sat and read while Vera took the car back. The bus finally came and we threw our stuff on and found seats. The bus was quite full.

We drove to the hot water beach first. This beach lies on a fault line that heats the water under the sand. Basically you dig holes in the sand and make like a little hot tub for yourself. But some of the water is too hot, it will burn you. As the waves come in from the ocean it cools the water down so you can sit in them. It’s really cool and you can rent shovels to dig. We stuck our feet in as it was cold and rainy out and we didn’t feel like changing haha and it was busy. Out in the water we saw some dolphins too.

We drove to Hahei next and went to our hostel first which was at a holiday park which is basically just a camp ground. They had a couple of rooms with bunk beds and then these boxes that were separate that just had bunk beds in them. That’s where I ended up. It was kinda cool.

Our guide drove us up to Cathedral Cove and we did a hike down to the beach and the famous cathedral cove. If any of you have seen Chronicles of Narnia: Prince Caspian, the opening scene was filmed at that spot. It was a tough hike but beautiful. Walked a long the beach to get back to the holiday park.

Our driver made us a bbq dinner tonight. We had lamb chops, kumara, potatoe, salad and fish. Played some cards with people and then got challenged to War with the American guy. I’m happy to tell you that Canada beat America 😊


Additional photos below
Photos: 13, Displayed: 13


Advertisement



Tot: 0.062s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 12; qc: 31; dbt: 0.0307s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 2; ; mem: 1.1mb