cathedral cove


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » North Island » Coromandel » Hahei
January 12th 2008
Published: January 12th 2008
Edit Blog Post

As we travelled down the east side of the Coromandal, we stopped off at one or 2 tourist spots for a look. It is the holiday season here for New Zealanders, so some places are a bit like honeypots, and we didn't stay too long. They are still beautiful!!!


Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement

cathedral covecathedral cove
cathedral cove

the rocks here span the beach, making vaults like a cathedral.
swimmingswimming
swimming

well, I only dared to paddle really, because the tide ripped so much. but i got very wet doing it!
althoughalthough
although

it was a long walk to reach the cove, 40 minutes up and down and up and down, people were pouring along the path, and it was only a small beach - so we left again!
pohutakawapohutakawa
pohutakawa

trees grow on nothing, a little space on bare rock, and there they are.
hot water beachhot water beach
hot water beach

under the sand are hot springs and if you hire a spade and dig, you can dig yourself a hole full of warm water. Actually it was 60 degrees and too hot for me!
gold minegold mine
gold mine

we passed through the town of Waihi, which has an enormous open cast gold mine. It may look small, but...... The town began with gold mining, and there are old hotels that look as if they've a story or two to tell!


Tot: 0.048s; Tpl: 0.017s; cc: 8; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0242s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb