Windy Welly!


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » North Island » Bay of Plenty » Whakatane
February 28th 2008
Published: March 16th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Wellington......started off ok. We got to our hostel, late at night after a long 3hour ferry trip with nothing better to do than eat the "not-so-nutritious" food on board because our heads were melted from driving all day & the poor TV selection was causing us more frustration than anything. Cabin fever.

So it was with pleasure that we accepted the free upgrade to a private hotel room because someone else made a mistake.....we were more happy to oblige. Wasn´t as fun wandering around the city the next morning looking for our car though. Grace returned from the car meter, looking forlorn, unsure if Sunny was stolen or towed away. Apparently we parked in a clearway from 7-9am....wasn´t clearly sign-posted but it was a bit of a task trying to track the car down. Got it in the end....& the fine. North Island wasn´t making a good impression on us so far!! We spent the remainder of the day being tourists....went to Te Papa Museum....very interactive so good for people like me that bore easily & then did a tour of parliament buildings which was very good.....not at all boring...hats off to the guide. I actually found a Butler´s cafe on the way.....not sure if I´ve been ruined though since I´ve been away but I found the hot chocolate too rich....even on my 2-a-day regimen I still found it sickening. That night we went to a rugby match-the Hurricanes (Wellington) against the Chiefs-I think (Auckland).....Hurricanes won without difficulty but was nice to see some of the international players on the field & the sport which the country holds so dearly.

No hanging around here though....slept the 2nd night in XBase....Dominos pizza as a bedtime supper.....& up bright n´early for the 6hour trip onwards.....to fit in as much as we could in the island, as we were quickly discovering that there was more to do than everyone had said.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.114s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 20; qc: 72; dbt: 0.0763s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb