Day # 100 & 101


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » North Island » Bay of Islands
September 17th 2015
Published: September 17th 2015
Edit Blog Post

Hit the hundy………..yes, 100 days on the road. 100 fantastic days, enjoying our beautiful homeland.

A little stiff from our big walk yesterday we opted to go biking today. Stopping for picnic lunch and coffee sitting on the waterfront and soaking up the sun was the best part😊. After lunch we took a road that runs up from town (School Road) to the start of the Opua Bush walk and lookout. Bikes locked up at the bottom of the track we headed up the steep track to the Lookout. What beautiful views down across Paihia and outer islands then around to Opua. The track is a good steady climb and the track is well maintained. It took us about 25-30 minutes to get up and about half that time to run down.



Day 101

We left Paihia in the sun this morning and took the motorhome across the Opua ferry to Russell. It has been a big day tiki touring around but the photos will show you what we have seen. First stop Tapeka Pt, then Long Bay to boil the billy for a cuppa. A couple of people were swimming here today, but still way too cold for me. This beach would be fairly busy in the summer months I would imagine.

Back on the road we head out towards Rawiti stopping at Jacks Bay. This place you could miss quite easy. A little road (Jacks Bay Rd 😊) on the left that heads down to a dead end, from here you can walk down a steep walking track to this spectacular bay. I have ranked this place as ‘The Spot’ for the day. A few fairly palatial baches dotted around this bay. Oh I wish I was a millionaire (or maybe a billionaire?).

The Rawhiti area has many bays along the coastline. You can also walk out to Cape Brett from here but it takes you about 8 hrs. Unfortunately I have used my fuel this week!

Back to the main road and South the drive on this road is stunning. Elliot Bay and Tapiro Bay a well worth a photo stop. Last stop for the day is Puriri Bay on the Whangaruru Harbour. Camped up safely and have had officials here re: Tsunami warning. So no fishing for the next 24hrs.


Additional photos below
Photos: 18, Displayed: 18


Advertisement



Tot: 0.039s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 10; qc: 18; dbt: 0.0216s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb