Day # 98 & 99


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » North Island » Bay of Islands
September 15th 2015
Published: September 15th 2015
Edit Blog Post

Life is highway……well a short one anyway. Kerikeri to Paihia was our big move today. Via the Haruru Falls (fairly unimpressive after the Kerikeri Rainbow Falls). It’s been a glorious day and we have spent a majority of it sitting on the beach and wandering around Paihia😊. Later this afternoon Lance ran the Waitangi to Haruru falls track whilst I casually rode around on my bike looking for a few photo shots. The views up above Waitangi looking across the golf course and out across the water are pretty nice.

Day 99

After a fairly average sleep last night we opted to do the Bay of Islands Full Circle Walk. The track starts from Paihia, then to Opua, across to Okiato (Via vehicle ferry) up to Russell then back across the passenger ferry to Paihia. This is not a track for the faint hearted it took us 5 ¾ hrs with very little stopping (our walk was extended by ½ hr as we are parked up out of town). The Paihia to Opua section is very picturesque as you walk around the coast. Okaito to Russell is a mixed bag but it makes it interesting with the great boardwalks across mangroves, sheltered native bush, steep climbs, and wooden steps. Overall this would have to be a must do for the fit. You would need to choose the weather as the track could get very slippery under foot. Would I do again….most definitely😊 After disembarking from the ferry we had to have a well-deserved beer on the waterfront in Paihia. Then a 15 min walk back to camp to put our weary feet up.


Additional photos below
Photos: 18, Displayed: 18


Advertisement



Tot: 0.05s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 13; qc: 19; dbt: 0.0289s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb