Day 3: Bay of Islands - Cape Reinga


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » North Island » Bay of Islands
January 7th 2011
Published: March 12th 2011
Edit Blog Post

7th January 2011

Up very early today for a full day trip up to Cape Reinga which is the most northerly point of New Zealand. The majority of the bus where from the bus that I was on yesterday but we had a few others from the previous day. First stop was Puket Rainforest where we did a small boardwalk through the forest. The main attractions in Puket are the Kauri Trees which are over 2000 years old.
We continued up the east coast and arrived in Cape Reinga around 11am where we got off and made our way up to the lighthouse which is on the tip of New Zealand. And from here you can see where the Tasman Sea meets with the pacific sea. After the short break we drove another 10minutes before stopping for lunch at Tapotupotu Bay. We had about an hour here for after lunch and then we went for a swim in the sea, it was absolutely freezing so it didn’t last too long!!
We headed west to Te Paki for out next stop which are home to New Zealand’s biggest sand dunes so we grabbed the sand boards, hiked to the top, took a bit of a run and flew down on our stomachs! It was great fun, bit scary but great fun!
After this we were covered in sand so the driver took us out to 90 Mile Beach where we had another swim in the freezing cold sea and drove along the coast line.
From hear we headed back to Piahia arriving back around 7pm. We got dinner and then had a few drinks.



Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement



Tot: 0.111s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 6; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0485s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb