Tramping and Tobogganing


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » North Island » Bay of Islands » Russell
April 27th 2012
Published: April 27th 2012
Edit Blog Post

This content requires Flash
To view this content, JavaScript must be enabled, and you need the latest version of the Adobe Flash Player.
Download the free Flash Player now!
 Video Playlist:

1: Sand Tobogganing 8 secs
Tramping continues to be one of our favourite activities since it affords us an opportunity to experience great vistas and to get off the beaten track. The most challenging tramp we have done so far was the Kauaeranga Track located on the southern part of the Coromandel Peninsula, southeast of Auckland. The origins of this track go back to the 1860s when it was used to bring in supplies by pack horse to those logging large Kauri trees high up and deep in the bush. This tramp proved to be the longest in terms of time - about 8.5 hours - as well as the steepest. There were sections requiring ladders, clambering up and over boulders, and to reach the top of the pinnacles, pulling ourselves up by iron rungs embedded in the rock. The effort was worth it since from the top we could see the oceans on each side of the North Island. The return loop was via the aptly named Billy Goat Track.

There are a few places on the North Island where there are still some old growth Kauri trees - some estimated to be as old as 1,500 years. These are located in conservation reserves and one evening we had the pleasure of camping amongst these magnificent trees. Logging has historically and continues to this day to be a significant contributor to the county's economy. Today's industry, based mostly on imported varieties of trees, is successful due to the fact that managed forests regenerate to maturity up to six times faster in New Zealand than in other parts of the world. A temperate climate and considerable rainfall are key to this.

A very sacred Maori area is the northern most tip, called Cape Reinga. There are stunningly beautiful hills, cliffs, volcanic rock headlands , white sand beaches, huge sand dunes all within what is known as the Te Paki Recreation Reserve. We spent two days touring, walking the beaches and tramping the headlands. One of these days was our 8th wedding anniversary and we were fortunate to be the only people enjoying the solitude of an immense beach. Perhaps the most beautiful campsite we have enjoyed in NZ was the Taputaputa DOC site - with its crescent white sand beach with large surf, situated between two headlands, just around the headland from the Cape Reinga lighthouse.

We were intrigued by the possibility of tobogganing down the giant sand dunes - the experience is very similar to tobogganing in the snow with the exception being that having snow all over your face is much more pleasurable than having sand in your eyes, ears, nose and mouth. It was still a blast!

We are continuing to tour the North Island and are slowly making our way back to Auckland as our time here is nearing its end.


Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement



27th April 2012
8th Anniversary @ Te Werahi Beach - Cape Reinga

picture purfect!
I have so enjoyed all the information and pictures you have been sending out...thank you so much. The picture of you two on the beach shows your joy at experiencing this amazing adventure. You look so relaxed and happy :)
2nd May 2012
8th Anniversary @ Te Werahi Beach - Cape Reinga

Happy Anniversary!!
Best wishes as you celebrate your anniversary!!!!. You both look so very happy and relaxed.Love checking your photos and travel stories... Colleen and Bruce

Tot: 0.122s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 13; qc: 33; dbt: 0.09s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb