More from Cape Fog and the Bay of Mist


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » North Island » Bay of Islands » Paihia
January 17th 2008
Published: January 18th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Cape Reinga - Jan 10th, Bay of Islands - Jan 11th

The Cape Reinga trip was actually amazing when I look back on it. (But I still maintain the weather was GROSS!) After sandboarding (which goes REALLY fast, up to 90 km/h allegedly!), we went back in the bus and drove down 90 mile beach. I think I posted a couple photos from this. It was impossible to take photos out the window because the rain and mist from the water made the windows rather opaque. Still, it was pretty amazing to be driving down a beach!

The next day, Friday the 11th, we went on a 4 hour cruise of the Bay of Islands. We were staying in the town of Paihia (Pie-hee-ah) at a hostel called the Pipi patch. It was a Base hostel, not as nice as the other bases we've stayed at, but had a "funky" feel to it, i guess... there was a little spa pool there, but it wasn't really big enough for our whole bus to have a pool party or anthing! Oh yeah, the cruise. When we got there, the weather seemed to have cleared up from Thursday, however on the water is was REALLY windy. It was still very cloudy but thankfully was not raining!! We cruised around the islands and went to "the hole in the rock" which on nice days, the boat actually goes through. Sadly, this was not a "nice" day and the water was too choppy. Nobody wanted to smash their heads off the rocks and our skipper was not too keen to try and get through. It sounded like they only go through every so often... We then had an island stopover for lunch where we took some really cute photos. By then, it had gotten sunny so we got some really gorgeous photos. Travelling with a photographer is amazing, because I'm learning how to be more creative with my shots!

We then headed back to our hostel with icecream in hand and got ready to get on the bus back to Auckland! We arrived in Auckland around 6 pm and checked into our hostels, got a bite to eat, and checked out the bar downstairs. We played some pool with a couple local guys and then went to bed. We had an early departure on Saturday morning -- en route to Mercury Bay, also known as Whitianga (fit-ee-anga). It had been an awesome trip so far, just tarnished with extremely crappy weather.




Additional photos below
Photos: 19, Displayed: 19


Advertisement

Definitely needed the raincoat!Definitely needed the raincoat!
Definitely needed the raincoat!

Not because it was raining... because it was SO windy and misty!
New ZealandNew Zealand
New Zealand

Also known as the Pohutukawa tree... blooms in December and January!
Our Island StopoverOur Island Stopover
Our Island Stopover

We had fish and chips here, then took some photos of the dock and the beach!
Holly calls these "filler photos"Holly calls these "filler photos"
Holly calls these "filler photos"

I just think it's beautiful!!


Tot: 0.103s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 17; qc: 62; dbt: 0.0636s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb