Cape Reinga Day trip -- Thursday Jan 10th


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » North Island » Bay of Islands » Paihia
January 14th 2008
Published: January 14th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Lighthouse at "Cape Fog"Lighthouse at "Cape Fog"Lighthouse at "Cape Fog"

The rainstorm felt like a hurricane...
Following up on my last entry... the weather did finally clear up, but not nearly in time for our "awesome adventure" to Cape Reinga. It was awful, awful stormy and we could hardly see anything. I can't remember whether I mentionned where the Cape is, but it is the very northern tip of New Zealand where the Tasman Sea meets the South Pacific Ocean. There's a lighthouse and gorgeous landscape... We treked down the path from our bus in what felt like a typhoon! I've been travelling mainly with a girl, Holly, from Washington State (just outside of Seattle), and she is a professional photographer. We tried to get some good photos while we were out there... luckily my camera is waterproof, but no camera was going to bring back the beauty we were supposed to be seeing that day! Yeesh! But we "weathered the storm" and made it down to the tip. We later did go sandboarding and it was actually a total riot. I just realized i have zero time left on my internet card, so i'll post this and get back to you with new items tomorrow!


Additional photos below
Photos: 13, Displayed: 13


Advertisement

An intro to Holly.An intro to Holly.
An intro to Holly.

I'm sure she'd hate that this is the first photo I'm putting up of both of us... it was a rough trip to the Cape
Cape ReingaCape Reinga
Cape Reinga

Where the Tasman sea meets the South Pacific
P1090353P1090353
P1090353

colour editing is cool.
90 mile beach90 mile beach
90 mile beach

The bus actually drove down this beach! also, New Zealanders are a pack of liars: it's really only about 64 miles.


Tot: 0.172s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 17; qc: 58; dbt: 0.0494s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb