Bay of Islands


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » North Island » Bay of Islands » Paihia
January 28th 2007
Published: January 28th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Hello from the beautiful Bay of Islands. After an early start in Auckland yesterday, I boarded my Kiwi experience bus for the first time to head north to the Bay of Islands. We drove through absolutly stunning rolling hills, cows and sheep everywhere and after a stop for a late breakfast at a beefarm, arrived in Paihia around noon. Mel, a friend of a friend from Canada picked me up from the bus and we headed to her house which overlooks the Bay of Islands. Just amazing. People actually live here!!! Anyhow, since Mel and her husband a building a new house on some farm country we checked out the new place, and had a swim and a BBQ on the river in a little beach cove that is right on their property. Heaven!!! is all i can say. Where we joined by some friends and neighbors from Russia who had just recently moved to New Zealand and you can imagine that the conversations were super interesting and entertaining.
Today i had the chance to go on my first short bike ride in New Zealand (if you remember it is one of the things on my "to-do list".) Mel organizes the local farmers market in Kerikeri, and so we headed off at 7 am to meet all the vendors who were setting up their stands. I took the better part of the morning to go on a bike ride around the area, visited the Old Stone Store and the Kemp House, who happened to be the first settlement of British missionaries in New Zealand, checked out an old Maori village and tried to educate myself a bit more on the Maori culture. It was a beautiful morning, the sun was shining and in general, life is just pretty much wonderful!! This afternoon we went for a swim in the pacific, played in the waves and went for a walk along the beach. I mean, really can it get any better? Di, in case you are reading this. Mel and are having a blast and we wish you could be here!!!

Well off to more exciting things tomorrow. I will for sure stay a few more days up here, it's just to much fun. 😊

cheers and Haere Ra

Steffi

Advertisement



Tot: 0.082s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 11; qc: 30; dbt: 0.0413s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb