Dinner (see my recipe) and a Movie (Building the Gherkin)


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » North Island » Auckland
September 2nd 2006
Published: September 3rd 2006
Edit Blog Post

9.1.06 Late Evening & 9.2.06 Day

Last night the offer came through from SKM (at 4:45pm Friday afternoon). Very pleased and excited to strike out in a new direction. Should sign doc’s on Monday or Tuesday. My thanks to everyone who has helped me get to this point, you don’t know all that it means to me.

Met up with a long time acquaintance (Alisha) from IEP at the Borders café. I use the word long term in the sense that unlike most people that strike out shortly after arriving in Auckland, we find ourselves still here (for me nearing four weeks) and seemingly happy with our current paths.

Nice to catch up with people every 4 to 6 days to see how things are going. Share the most recent IEP gossip, and discuss our interesting encounters with other travelers.

At 7:55pm met Alison at the Academy Cinema (arts theater) and watched the film “Building the Gherkin”, Norman Foster’s, ‘radical’ office tower located in London’s old financial center (not Canary Warf). A 55 minute film that won awards at the FIFA Festival in Montreal 2006.

The design of the Gherkin began back in December 1996, demolition
The Gherkin (30 st mary axe; London) The Gherkin (30 st mary axe; London) The Gherkin (30 st mary axe; London)

see http://www.30stmaryaxe.com/index2.asp
of the site (an historic building that had been bomb by the IRA) began in January 2001. By 9/11 they were a month away from beginning the structure above street level. While the film did not mention much about the controversy around continuing construction after 9/11 believe me it was a hotly discussed item at the time.

The quality of the filming and techniques used were superb. The film was as much about the people involved as it was about the physical construction. Points of interest: An American woman was brought on as the Owners Rep. She had the type of personality it takes to pull a project together, however they were working on completing critical items right up to the Monday that staff were to begin moving in. You might say she had ‘balls of steel’ (my words). Skanska was the prime contractor (I did not know that). Saw the water test performed on the curtainwall mockup, same method as in the states, a huge propeller engine provided the pressure difference. The top of the building is topped off by a dome made of a single piece of glass. When the curtainwall installers were attaching this final unit someone applied to much pressure at one of the connection points and the glass developed hairline cracks. To replace this piece took some doing, I guess they couldn’t leave it open like the Pantheon dome? Norman Foster was very upset when the interior design portion of the project was,,,, you might say,,,, taken away from him! Great aerial view of the building, reminded me of a finely faceted gem stone. If you’re interested in learning more there is lots of information on this particular building, and is well worth a visit when in London.

Had a berry smoothie, listened to some street music that evolved in into Christian rock. Checked out the comedy club schedule, I keep meaning to take in a show. One of these days I’ll get there, we’d missed the 10:30 show.

First night in my long term residence, looking forward to it.

Saturday

First morning, cold gray day. Had proper tea, and toast with marmalade! Oh, yes, and a most excellent NZ orange. Took the trash and recycling out and started a load of dirty dishes in the dishwasher. Domesticated life…..

My Den Mom Stephanie, volunteered to take me shopping for a few household items I need. Went to a new single level mall, which is big news to Aucklanders. Drove to Hamish’s new job (similar to Trader Joe’s) to satisfy Stephanie’s curiosity. Next went to Stephanie’s mom’s home (Penelope) who had visited Portland back in ’90 and remember how beautiful the city was and was most impressed with MAX transportation. Then it was back home by way of a scenic waterfront drive. I’m looking forward to rollerblading along this section of beach.

Went out walking for the afternoon when I returned. The city seemed dead (almost like a Sunday). I got bored and went back to Academy theater to watch a couple more architecture films. First was on Chicago. Very amateurish and seemed to lack a real purpose (I’ve already said too much about the film it was that boring). Second film was titled “MDM”. The MDM or Marsalkowska Housing District was one of the first and most famous of Poland’s 1950’s Socialist realist housing developments. Conceived on a monumental scale as a model of socialist planning and an architectural showpiece for the new Communist regime, MDM rose up from the ruins of a city completely destroyed in WW II. Fifty years later the development is the playground of capitalist, how ironic.

Popped into Kathmandu (similar to REI) and purchase a little care package for a friend heading to the cold south, stay warm and don’t become a wooly mammoth! By this time it was 4pm, cold, dark, and nearly empty in the CBD. Headed back to Parnell for dinner with my flatmates.

Helped Stephanie with dinner. My first real NZ recipe is as follows (go ahead an make it, it’s delicious):
-----------

100 grams of bacon --- Fry
1 large onion (diced) ---- add to bacon and stir (do not brown)
12 mushrooms sliced in half --- add to the above with onion.
Once done place in casserole dish.

While the above is cooking:
Cut chicken thighs into bit sized pieces. Toss seasoned flour on chicken. Fry till surface golden brown, but do not cook thru and thru.

Once Chicken has browned add to the bacon mix.

Add to the above:
1 1/2 cup red wine
1 cup chicken stock
4 Tablespoons Brandy
2 chopped garlic cloves
2 Tablespoon tomato paste
Thyme to flavor
Bay leaves to flavor
Bunch of parsley to flavor

Cover Casserole dish and bake 35 - 45 minutes.

Thicken in flower/butter as needed.

-------------

Had dinner with Stephanie, Hamish, and George. Dessert was cream puffs from a specialty bakery.

Played a capitalistic board game of moving commodities between production, terminals, and ports. It came down to the last roll of the die but I ended up winning with a good deal of coaching from the other players.

Stood on the balcony and took in the breathtaking view of the Auckland skyline.


I find it interesting that depending on my timing I can write and publish my experiences for a day that you have yet to live. I can provide tomorrows news today!


Advertisement



3rd September 2006

Dinner
What, No Mutton? wait until you smell frying mutton. you thought that Auckland hostel had bad BOD. WHERE'S THE BEEF?
3rd September 2006

Enjoying your travel blogs.
Very interesting,keep up the good work
4th September 2006

cooking
It sounds like you have good fun with your flat mates. This recipe sounds very good. I will try it too. We love your travel documentary! And we love today's news in advance!!!! Love, Aunt Teresia

Tot: 0.087s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 7; qc: 24; dbt: 0.065s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 2; ; mem: 1.1mb