Day 12 (22 July) Shopping in Auckland


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » North Island » Auckland
July 22nd 2014
Published: July 24th 2014
Edit Blog Post

Auckland Bay view from Heritage Hotel roomAuckland Bay view from Heritage Hotel roomAuckland Bay view from Heritage Hotel room

Bay Bridge crossing water on left; Cosco across the street (office only fortunately, else Lesley might have bought a pallet-load more than our luggage allowance); IBM office next door (for Don to snub at each passing). The wharf and shopping areas just a few HILLY blocks away.
We decided to be lazy today. So we got up late, had a good breakfast and set off to wander around the shops.

If you haven't been to Auckland before and are planning a visit I would suggest that you pre-oil all of your joints before coming, as New Zealand is built on a series of volcanos and is thus very hilly. Auckland is a port town. Therefore all roads lead down to the sea. When you think that you have climbed a steep hill, the next one is even steeper. If you go up a hill to get to your destination don't presume that you will be walking back down a hill. I don't know what magic is used but all routes are uphill! (Don's mathemagical explanation: these are Mobius hills.)

Anyway, Don and I walked round the stores. Apart from high rise buildings, the shops are like they were in London maybe 10 or more years ago. No stores like Marks and Spencer or Macy's but lots of small arcades. We passed one medium sized 'department store' and one large book shop which had a quarter of the store devoted to books and the rest of the
Heritage Hotel suite interiorHeritage Hotel suite interiorHeritage Hotel suite interior

Lounge in our Auckland hotel room. We also had a bedroom, full bathroom with tub and walk-in shower and clothes washer/dryer, and kitchenette.
store was "stuff". A shopkeeper told us that our hotel was formerly a department store, but it closed and became the smaller half of the Heritage Hotel, in which we are staying in the newer taller apartment tower.

I did manage to buy a dress. we found the Bond Street (or 5th Avenue) of Auckland, called Queen Street. Coach was having a sale so I bought a new bag. Then it was time for coffee. There is no shortage of coffee shops, though so far we have only found one Starbucks.

There is also no shortage of Japanese food shops, sushi stores, and Japanese liquor stores. You can also buy pearls. Oyster catching is a big industry in the Bay of Islands and the pearls are a big by-product. Food production is the other use for the oysters.

Then back to the hotel to catch up on blogging and daf yomi. We were good and managed two dafim.

We tested out the in-hotel restaurant which grilled a piece of salmon for us. Quite scrummy as we haven't had too much fish on this holiday.

And an early night!

Advertisement



Tot: 0.056s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 8; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0348s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb