The end of the world did not happen...but!


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » North Island » Auckland
December 22nd 2012
Published: December 22nd 2012
Edit Blog Post

So the world did not end yesterday as predicted and we find ourselves in Auckland; but the end of our trip, and therefore this blog, is nigh! Tomorrow we start our long journey home for Christmas!

We have done some mileage since we left Manchester 25 days ago; over a thousand kilometres already in 'Louise' and well over that in 'Maui'. And just looking at the map we have come so far away from home. We have seen so much of other cultures, learned so many new ideas not to mention visiting so many of the different geological situations I have been teaching about from afar for so many years.

We are indebted to so many for this opportunity and for making things happen for us. To Joe and Gemma for our time with them in Singapore and Brunei, to Mike Parker who has taken over the responsibility of teaching my students at the end of term and who initially set up this blog for me, to St Bede's for allowing me this sabbatical time, and to Mum and Dad who kept us informed via Skype with what was happening in Farnborough. And to so many more, too numerous to mention - special thanks to all of you.

And of course, not to forget our family at home who have kept us briefed and are taking the full brunt of sorting Christmas for us! We are very excited about seeing you all (in particular Lucy and Alice) on Christmas Eve and sharing our stories and yours over the Christmas celebrations, as it should be.

But the biggest thank you is to Sue for patiently sharing this 'field trip' with me and indulging my frequent trips off the beaten track to look at yet another rock outcrop!

So, that is that...until the next time!

Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year

Advertisement



Tot: 0.065s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 9; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0385s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb