Auckland part 2 (24.10.12 -26.10.12)


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » North Island » Auckland
November 17th 2012
Published: November 17th 2012
Edit Blog Post

On our return from Paihia we decided to just spend our extra day in Auckland. We were rushing to be in the South Island for my (Rach's) birthday on the 26th so we decided that the easiest way to get there was to fly, and we are learning on this trip that sometimes less is more when it comes to seeing a country! After returning to the hostel we stayed in previously we went out for a cheap dinner at the international food court down the road. This was a revelation to us, one big room mostly consisting of counters selling different south east Asian foods really cheaply and also had a bar to buy a beer! We ended up eating here both nights as it was actually cheaper than buying all the food for a couple of meals! When we got back to the hostel, which on our last stay was really quiet, we walked into a party on the balcony. There was of course the required German man with a guitar singing none stop for hours. (he also started again at 10ish the next morning!) so instead of our quiet return to the hostel with a bottle of nice New Zealand red (yes I drink that now!) we were up until 2ish drinking with lots of various Europeans (and one very random white maori guy with traditional face tattoos!)
The next day we were planning to do the Auckland "coast to coast" walk. Not as drastic as you may think at only 16km! However when we woke up, early because we had a car to return, we discovered we were a bit worse for wear! So the walk was put off til the afternoon, no big problem as it only took us 3 1/2 hours with stopping time to eat and take pictures! It was a really nice walk though and we got some fantastic views out over Auckland from the top of One Tree Hill and Mount Eden. Needless to say after our hungover walking efforts we had a quieter, early, alcohol free night in preparation for our flight to Queenstown tomorrow.


Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement



Tot: 0.053s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 9; qc: 23; dbt: 0.0326s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb