Auckland to Whitianga


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » North Island » Auckland
April 12th 2010
Published: April 21st 2010
Edit Blog Post

Another early start out of Auckland heading to Whitianga (Mercury Bay).

This drive should be easy however, as it is the start of the journey for most people on the bus we need to go to the main office.

Our driver uses this as an opportunity to let us go to the supermarket for supplies for todays picnic.

Considering we set off from the hostel at 8.30am we don't actually leave Auckland until 10.30am!

Actually, before leaving the city we head to the top of Mount Eden where we are able to get 360 degree views of the city.

Next we head to the Coromandel - secluded beaches and untouched native forests.

We stop off to visit Cathedral Cove - as it is a 45 minute walk we decide to have our gourmet picnic lunch first - ham and coleslaw baguettes!

After such a big lunch (compared to our fellow travelers) we don't have much time at the cove.

Once there we discover white sand, crystal clear water and an amazing archway.

Rob takes this as a chance to polish up on his photography skills and to moan about Kerry's lack of skills (ha).

We eventually arrive at Mercury Bay and opt to have the spag bol for tea - made by the hostel.

This hostel is amazing - a comfy bed, a TV, plug sockets and a didgeridoo!

We had the best nights sleep in over 4 months! . . .



Additional photos below
Photos: 10, Displayed: 10


Advertisement



Tot: 0.166s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 12; qc: 55; dbt: 0.0618s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb