New Zealand - Arriving in Auckland


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » North Island » Auckland
November 19th 2009
Published: November 19th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Hi all, Sorry it has taken so long for me to upload the first updates we seem to have been so busy seeing everything, but i will try and get our first 10 days up here in a mammoth session in the internet cafe!

So we eventually arrived in Auckland at 8am in the morning after a 26 hour flight from the UK where Tom and I were squished against the window of the plane by a girl who proceeded to sleep the entire journey so we had to keep climbing over her to go the bathroom - she didn't even wake up when i accidentally fell on top of her pulling her hair in the process.

Once we arrived in the city we made our way over to the hotel/apartments that Tom's mum had kindly booked for us, but couldn't check in until 4pm so we had a wander round had breakfast (even though we had already been fed about 8 times on the plane.) We then made our way up the Sky Tower which is supposed to be the highest building in the Southern Hemisphere although i think its about the size of the Eiffel Tower. The views were good although it was quite overcast, but you can see all of the volcanoes that surround the city, the tower also has glass floor panels in that Tom was jumping on even though they were only about 3.5cm thick.

Once we were checked into the apartments, the views were amazing we were on the 23rd floor looking up at the sky tower and over the harbor right in the center of the city as you can see in the photos but i think we were in bed by 6pm all the same.

Day 2

The Second day in New Zealand was a beautiful sunny day - we were up by 6am so decided to get the ferry out to Rangitoto Island, which is Auckland's most recently emerged volcano. It was about an hours climb to the summit which had the most stunning 360 views across the seas to Auckland and the surrounding mountains. By the time we reached the ferry again i was beginning to turn a touch pink so we headed back to the apartments where i indulged in my new found obsession - Ginger Beer - although it does make me feel a tiny bit like a member of The Famous Five!



Additional photos below
Photos: 21, Displayed: 21


Advertisement



28th November 2009

Hi Rachel and Tom
Glad you made it !. Enjoy your travels!!. Will keep reading to see what you are up to. Love Tracy and David. XXX

Tot: 0.147s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 6; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0863s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb