NEW ZEALAND- North Island Part 16th Dec -6th Jan


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » North Island » Auckland
March 3rd 2009
Published: March 4th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Our NZ adventures continued as we crossed from South to North Island on the ferry from a rainy Picton to a sunny Wellington where we spent a few hours in the excellent Te Papa museum - which amongst Maori cultural exhibits also housed the giant colossal squid. We then made our way up to Napier to meet up with our friends from back in blighty, Chris and Rachel, who had been travelling ahead of us. It was great to meet up and also be introduced to Jack Sparrow (or Jackie as it turned out!), a sparrow they were hand rearing. Our following itinerary took us round Napier on an excellent art deco tour, up to some lovely freinds of Chris and Rachel's - Andy, Bel, little Emily and Grandad where we spent a restful night.

Over the next three weeks we took some excellent sites including; the thermal pools and volcanic landscapes at Waikite, black water rafting through the cave systems of Waitomo, beautiful walks along the Blyth track in the Tongariro National Park, a splendid and slightly inebriated Xmas Eve and Day at Lake Taupo in a thermal spa resort.

We also had a wonderful stay at Mark, Sue and Sam's in Cambridge where we were made to feel very welcome. Followed by exploring the Coramandel region before fleeing from the arriving masses of New Year partygoers and heading back to the tranquil campsite at Waitomo, for a BBQ and new year drinks in the pub with the locals.

After another short but characteristically generous stay with Mark, Sue and Sam we had to part our ways with Chris and Rachel (boooo) and head to Auckland to get some supplies for our onward travel to Ecuador. We were greatly assisted by our friend Leah whom we met in Mongolia. Leah and her family (Tom, Pam and Michael) were so kind and spoilt us rotten in their beautiful house on the outskirts of Auckland. We'd love to show you lots of pics of them but we have mislaid the pictures!! >:-(

We left New Zealand with heavy hearts as it had been a fanatastic place to visit and we can not express our thanks enough to all the generous and hugely hospitable people we have met on the way. Especially those mentioned above. NZ is truly a great place!! Next stop Ecuador!!

Many thanks to Rachel Davis for Pictures 68-76




Additional photos below
Photos: 106, Displayed: 23


Advertisement



Tot: 0.062s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 12; qc: 43; dbt: 0.0346s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb