A rainbow welcome to New Zealand


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » North Island » Auckland
February 18th 2008
Published: February 18th 2008
Edit Blog Post

And now to New Zealand. Another soggy arrival (Sat) but I was happy to spot a rainbow from the transit bus and see it change to a double one on the way to Auckland. Always a good sign.....

Have been staying at the Nomads Fat Camel hostel in the city centre and after three nights here, seem to be more settled around the backpacking scene. Got chatting to a woman in my dorm on Sat night who's on her travels doing various voluntary projects around the world. Amazing woman. She's 58 and has just been in Hong Kong working with children with HIV and AIDS. She's here at the mo helping out at the Auckland City Mission for the homelss and leaves on Saturday for Alice Springs to work with Aborgine kids. Turns out she and her late husband used to run a pub on the Isle of Wight (where my family all live now) and was born in Gosport, same as me. Twas one of those weird conversations full of random connections that make you realise what a small place this planet can be.

Anyway, have just been down to the Mission with her this morning and helped pack pencilcases for kids' Christmas presents. Nowt like a bit of forward planning. Have really enjoyed doing something non-touristy and seeing a different side of the city. Great to meet Gill too (who all the street people call "Angel"). Most energetic person I've met in a long time!

Bit of a change from yesterday as well. Did my usual walk for hours try to get a sense of a new place - past cafes, harbours, shops, parks and loads of really good murals and street art. At one point it was strangely similar to last week's morris dancing experience only this time I came across a group of drummers and bagpipe players. They were much more focussed and tightknit than the Belswaggers of Brisbane though so no chance of a quick bash on a drum or bellow. Great to watch though and have another homecoming moment. Also popped into the museum in the main park to soak up all things Maori and historic and then stumbled across a Gospel concert in the botanic gardens, as you do.

So, am liking New Zealand so far. Tomorrow I'm heading up north to a place called Kerikeri for a lookabout and after that I'm going in search of St Francis farm in Warangeri (I think it's called that . Must check the map........) where there's no phone or electricity apparently. Looking forward to (hopefully) a more simple week. Bye for now.






Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement



Tot: 0.085s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 10; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0563s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb