Last day in Kiwi Country


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » North Island » Auckland
November 19th 2007
Published: November 21st 2007
Edit Blog Post

View from the B&BView from the B&BView from the B&B

What a view to wake up to - unfortunately, there was quite a few clouds out that morning.
Well last day in NZ. Woke up in a beautiful place on the beach in Hahei. We had a very leisurely morning - but after running around all week, it was much welcomed. Had a nice breakfast at the B&B and got all our stuff packed up.

We took a nice leisurely stroll down the beach - it was quite deserted, but beautiful. Then at the end (it's not that long) we decided to try to make our way all the way to Cathedral Cove - one of the major draws of the Coromandel (we were told it was quite a walk, but the sign said 1.5 hours, and had come to realize that those signs aren't usually _that_ accurate). So we did it. Lots of ups and downs around the coast line - the coastline doesn't have continuous walkable beaches, mostly rocky plunges - so the trails take you up the steep cliffs and around. I wasn't sure what the walk would entail, but it was manageable (certainly aerobic though - which was good for both of us). We made it there in just less than the 1.5 hours they mentioned - with Dan stopping frequently to take many,
WalkingWalkingWalking

Stroll down Haihei beach.
many pictures. He has become very enthused with the nature in NZ - plants, birds, etc - it’s kinda cute.

We finally made it down to this gorgeous cove on the water - called cathedral cove, supposedly, for the huge cathedral like cut through the rock. It was quite beautiful - and we sat and enjoyed the view for while, regaining the steam to climb back up.

Walk home was only about 45 minutes - we got in the car and headed out. Tried to find our way around - stopped in another little beach town for lunch - we were starving from the walk - then continued on the way. We probably should have driven up and around the rest of the coromandel, but I kinda chickened out thinking it would be too long. So instead we stopped and walked around this little town called Thames on the internal side of the cape - checked out the stores and the views, then continued back to Auckland. Drive wasn’t bad and we made it back towards the airport about 530ish. Dan wanted to stop and watch the airplanes - so we did that a bit, and then found the hotel near the airport we were staying at (early morning flight out).

After cleaning up a bit - we just went out for a drive. Ended up playing 18 holes of putt-putt (I will give Dan credit - he had 2 holes in one!, but I still managed to beat him - yes REBECCA WON!) and getting some very spicy, but yummy, Indian food for dinner. Then we dropped the rental car off, got a ride back to the hotel, repacked our stuff to make sure it all still fit, and went to bed.



Additional photos below
Photos: 9, Displayed: 9


Advertisement

FlowersFlowers
Flowers

some of the beautiful wind flowers
CowsCows
Cows

Electric Fence? or just trying to keep the trespassers out?
Street SignsStreet Signs
Street Signs

More interesting street signs.
ScorecardScorecard
Scorecard

Dan wasn't the best loser - but i keep telling him he should get used to it, he has a long life of losing to his wife ahead of him!


21st November 2007

Pirate's Cove?
That's crazy. I can't believe they have Pirate's Cove all the way in NZ. We had one of those in Orlando that I used to go to all the time in high school. It was one of the few places that my friends and I could "hang out" because Mom considered it safe. I was always the one that went fishing in the little streams for balls and we always ended up with more golf balls than we started with. Hmm, that was probably more information than necessary for a comment.

Tot: 0.099s; Tpl: 0.028s; cc: 8; qc: 43; dbt: 0.0494s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb