Sky Screamer


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » North Island » Auckland
February 24th 2007
Published: February 25th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Strapping InStrapping InStrapping In

Adrianne has second thoughts moments before being shot into the air at 180 kilometres per hour.
Today I got up at 8:00 a.m. and hit the road in search of a vehicle and a few odds and ends. The rest of the family slept (yes, all day). I drove from one end of Auckland to the other. I had narrowed down my search using the New Zealand Auto trader on-line and went from dealership to dealership looking at vehicles. My driving (on the left hand side of the road) has improved somewhat.

I learned quite a bit about cars in New Zealand. Gas prices are just a bit higher (about $1.10 CDN a litre). Insurance is dramatically lower (less than ½ of Toronto rates). There are good deals to be had on used vehicles imported from Japan. As a result of a cultural dislike for used things, and exceedingly high emission standards, many Japanese opt to keep relatively new cars. Some of the cars still have Japanese script on all the controls. Others are modified in New Zealand. The availability of these Japanese imports effectively ended any local auto manufacturing.

Later in the day, I stopped by what is reputed to be New Zealand’s largest mall: Sylvia Park. It seemed only marginally larger than Hillcrest Mall in Richmond Hill. (I am sure I will long for such a mega-mall once we are in Reefton). I did find a Nintendo Wii for our overindulged children.

When I returned, everyone was forced out of bed and went for a walk down to the Auckland Sky Tower. It has a very narrow base. While it is billed as the tallest structure in the southern hemisphere (328 metres), it pales in comparison to Toronto’s CN Tower (553 metres). Astrid has always been uncomfortable in tall buildings, particularly ones with glass elevators and floors, the Sky Tower was no different, which makes it all the more surprising that she (together with Avery and Adrianne), elected to ride the Sky Screamer. The Sky Screamer is a reverse bungee that launches its occupants to heights of up to 100 metres at speeds in excess of 180 kph. Adrianne’s screams could be heard throughout Greater Auckland, but everyone enjoyed the thrill. Perhaps jumping off a bridge will be next.


Advertisement



26th February 2007

bridge
One would like to remind (other) one, that bungee might be a good idea if one decides on the 'bridge jumoing' What kind of car are you looking for? There was some kind of 'fire' at the Imperial Oil refinery in (some Ontario location) that has caused a 'jump' in fuel prices in our neck of the woods. Conspiracy comes to mind. Afre the 'Barenaked Ladies' big in NZ?

Tot: 0.053s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 9; qc: 24; dbt: 0.031s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb