Visit From Home!


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » North Island » Auckland » Waitakere Ranges
February 24th 2007
Published: March 11th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0

Day Trip to Waitakere Ranges and Muiwai


After much anticipation, Melissa's Mom FINALLY arrived for her visit. Her and Gary arrived at a very early 6 AM on a Saturday morning...but we didn't mind at all. We spent the morning catching up and having breakfast. They were very excited to see our new place and the life we have been building for ourselves. Around lunchtime we went out to take them on a tour of the city. We walked along Queen Street and showed them Melissa's bank. Then we went up the Auckland Sky Tower for some great views of the city. We got to see someone that was doing the "Sky Jump" which is sort of a cable jump from the top of the tower. It was funny to see someone falling past us at the top of the tower. Before heading back home we had a few appetizers and drinks at a bar in The Viaduct.

On Sunday we got up and drove out to the Waitakere Ranges...a mountainous rainforest west of Auckland. After a few stops along the way we made it to Muriwai Beach and Regional Park. Yet another beach to add to our favorite Auckland-area beaches! There's 60 km of surf beach
Looking WAAAY Down...Looking WAAAY Down...Looking WAAAY Down...

...from the top of the Sky Tower
and black sand dunes...so awesome. Since Dennis was in no condition to surf...and no limbo contests in sight... 😉 We opted to do the coastal walk instead. There were some amazing views and you can get really close to a colony of Gannets (Sea Birds-don't worry we had no idea what they were either) It was a beautiful day...and the hot weather welcomed by Mom and Gary who had just been shovelling snow at home a few days earler! For dinner on Sunday we had Paul and Sally over so everyone could meet. It was a really fun night and nice to have our families together on one continent! Mom and Gary left Monday morning on their self-directed, camper van tour of the North Island. We'll be meeting up with them on Friday and have a week off work to travel around with them and see more of the island. We'll be doing some more updates when we get back...hope eveyone is well at home!


Additional photos below
Photos: 32, Displayed: 23


Advertisement

Jumping Jumping
Jumping

(Falling?)
Mom & GaryMom & Gary
Mom & Gary

Viaduct
Dennis... Dennis...
Dennis...

Waitakere Ranges
Maori Totem PoleMaori Totem Pole
Maori Totem Pole

Waitakere Visitor's Centre


Tot: 0.093s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 14; qc: 65; dbt: 0.0567s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb