Rangitoto


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » North Island » Auckland » Rangitoto
February 19th 2013
Published: February 21st 2013
Edit Blog Post

A cloudy start this am, but the sun was out in strength. Bit of a thick head so a large coffee on Quay Street whilst waiting for the ferry to Ragitoto Island was in order. Left the port under the shadow of the huge cruise liner the Queen Victoria. Great sights to take in from the ferry. As we dock at Rangitoto Island Wharf the skipper announces that the last return boat of the day is at three thirty and not to miss it otherwise it'll be a long cold night.

Rangitoto is a volcanic nature reserve with a landscape of lava crops, lush native bush and sandy coves. It's the youngest and largest volcano in the Auckland volcanic field. Starting on the south coast I set off for a coastal bush walk to Mckenzie Bay on the north west coast. It's soon very hot and there is no escaping from the sun as it not only beats down but reflects off the volcanic landscape. The island is pest free and your not supposed to stray off the marked tracks or disturb the native vegetation. Once at Mckenzie Bay you are rewarded with a beautiful sandy beach with only a couple of other people there and a boat moored out in the bay.

After a swim to cool off I make a start for the summit of the volcano. There are lookouts along the way with stunning views. As the climb becomes increasingly steeper a seemingly never ending wooden staircase takes over from the track. It was well worth the climb with 360 degree views of Auckland and the Hauraki Gulf islands.


Additional photos below
Photos: 11, Displayed: 11


Advertisement



Tot: 0.084s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 11; qc: 50; dbt: 0.0427s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb