The big Boxing Day Rugby-New Zealand v Wales


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » North Island » Auckland » Pukekohe
December 26th 2013
Published: January 5th 2014
Edit Blog Post

Too good a Christmas?!Too good a Christmas?!Too good a Christmas?!

Putting the boxes in Boxing Day
After a food and drink fuelled Christmas Day arrived the Rugby match to burn off all the recent good living. Forget six nations, forget World Cup yes today was the all important Northern hemisphere V Southern Hemisphere New Zealand v Wales Rugby game of the year! Such was the importance of the day, Den and Daryl came out of retirement for the occasion, and Cath made her debut for Team Jones. There had been some strong discussion about who should captain the team, some cast doubt on the capability of Carey Jones, suggesting his strategies may not work, but those with faith invested it accordingly, and Carey stepped up to skipper the side full of injury. What would go first? Gareth's foot? Daryls shoulder? Rhydians shoulder? Rhys quiff? Daryls other shoulder? Daryls hip? Daryls Knee? Dens heart (Jans words not mine!) it came to something when the most injury free person on the team had given birth only 4 months ago and was still on maternity leave! Still they may have broken bodies, but no one will ever break the spirit of the Welsh. Chests bursting with pride as they pulled on their 'team Jones' t-shirts that Carey had had made up, it was time to step up for the national anthems. Voices of the Valleys rang out loud and clear over the fields of Pukekohe-the patriotism hadn't been left at home. New Zealand honoured their tradition performing their countries ritual of the Haka, the traditional ancestral war cry of the Maori people proclaiming strength and prowess in order to intimidate the opposition. A beautiful ritual, nevertheless the Welsh found Caleb more intimidating than the NZ old boys- just what would it take to crush their spirit?

The game started with the blow of 2 whistles (Reuben was in charge of this) and the 7 a side team were looking strong. Team Jones had 2 great wingers Denzil and Rhys, and Carey who was always half a yard behind the pace of the game. Some great linking play for Team Jones saw Michelle get the first try of the game, but not long after, Team Jones suffered a shattering blow when Den pulled his hamstring. Could he last the remainder of the game or would Team Jones chance a crushing defeat if they subbed Den at such an early stage?! Cath came on for a debut, and her play could only be described as 'immense'. Good decisive play linked the boys to give Rhys his first ever try-and all with quiff intact. Who was most excited? Rhys for scoring the try? the team for being ahead? or Jan in the crowd screaming for her last born? Daryl was open and about to score a try when the whistle blew and stopped play. No it wasn't the end just yet-Reuben had gotten hold of the whistle again and threw the game into chaos. The team played on, with every ounce of grit they had. Supporters roared from the sidelines, Reuben cooled everyone down with water balloons, Lau forgot to bring the oranges - would this half time vitamin deficiency lead Wales to crack? With Husband and wife duo in the team, observing from the crowd it was evident history was in the making in that Gareth kept his cool. For the first time. Ever. This was mainly because Carey and Den were loosing theirs. Emotions were running high in team Jones, but cool as a cucumber Rhydian was the spearhead of the arrow, and carried the team on his 1 working shoulder. With the final whistle, Wales were victorious winning with a mighty score of....(now I think it was 9-3 but will have to check with Daryl as I haven't the faintest idea!)

Back at the house, Cath despaired as Carey extended the warmth of the Welsh and invited the opposition round for a BBQ and celebratory drink (just how many more visitors would she have in her house??!)

Careful consideration was given to this award and despite pulling a hamstring in the first 2 minutes he played on, avoiding being substituted on the basis he couldn't catch a cold, the man of the match was awarded to.......Dennis Jones. The kiwis were quick to point out that this was not due to the flare, panache and skill that Denzil brought to the Rugby, but that there would be no team Jones if it weren't for him seeing as he had produced the majority of the players! The coveted trophy (decorated in team colours by Rhys) was proudly accepted by team Jones. The night wore on and the beer kept flowing; their would be some sore heads in the morning as Wales continued to celebrate their win. The day was theirs for the taking, and they took it and ran-even if the hamstring gave out in doing so!


Additional photos below
Photos: 17, Displayed: 17


Advertisement



Tot: 0.088s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 11; qc: 50; dbt: 0.0516s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb