White Island volcano and beyond


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » North Island » Auckland » North Shore
October 8th 2011
Published: October 8th 2011
Edit Blog Post

Having escaped being dissolved in the acid (by the whinging scots - still!) we continued being guided around the crater and the old sulphur factory where we were told about the landslide in 1914 which wiped out all the miners. Everybody checked their safety helmets! Back on board the boat it was a snack lunch, a quick sail round the island, then back to Whakatane. A brilliant trip!
We returned to Papamoa beach via a couple of jugs of speights then enjoyed the hospitality of our hosts again.
The next day we left for the Coromandel Peninsular via the fruit packing co-operative which is run by one of our hosts. It was fascinating to see advocados & kiwi fruit being sorted and packed.
Then onto the Peninsula first stop Whangamata, where lunch was a very reasonable fish & chips (using a fish called Tarakihi). We were heading for Whitianga via Hot Water Beach (the tide was in so we couldn't dig our own hot tub) and then onto Cathedral Cove. We didnt quite make the Cove (yes, you guessed it the tide was in!) but we could get to Stingray Bay which was spectacular. (photos later - promise). Early evening saw
Arty or what?Arty or what?Arty or what?

Stingray Cove
us in our 'cosy' motel. We had a quick trip to Coromandel town then back via sunset over both east and west coasts from the top of a mountain - spectacular!
Back in town we hit Smitty's sports bar (sirloin steak, egg & chips for $13 - bargain!) accompanied by several jugs of ale.
Having driven all day I was knackered so it was retirement time. In the meantime John, the ever generous Scotsman, had given me his cold so George suffered with my snoring!
This morning it was scrambled eggs for breakfast crafted by George in the microwave and then off back to Auckland .
Tonight its into town in time to watch Wales v Ireland in a bar and then the big one.



Additional photos below
Photos: 3, Displayed: 3


Advertisement

SunsetSunset
Sunset

Coromandel Peninsula


Tot: 0.249s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 6; qc: 45; dbt: 0.163s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb