A Very Kiwi Wedding


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » North Island » Auckland » Kohimarama
March 6th 2010
Published: March 16th 2010
Edit Blog Post

Before the CeremonyBefore the CeremonyBefore the Ceremony

Guests mingling on the cliff top before the ceremony.
On the 6th March, we were very pleased to head along to Karioitahi Beach on the west coast south of Auckland to attend the wedding of Nicola Poppelbaum and Michael Leckie. Nicola is Liz's daughter and we have come to know both her and Mike quite well since living in NZ. This was the first Kiwi wedding we've been to, so a very special occasion for us too!

It took about 30 minutes to drive down to the stunning clifftop location where the wedding would be taking place and we soon mixed in with Liz and the rest of the family. It was lovely to see Liz's sisters again - Pamela who lives in Australia, and Tina who lives just outside Palmserston North about 5 hours' drive south of Auckland. We haven't seen either of them in ages so it was great to catch up!

With the sun peeking through the clouds and a nice strong wind buffeting us around, the music started and onto the vast lawn stepped the bride and her dad, Allard. Nicola looked fabulous and despite the wind's best efforts, managed to keep hold of her veil and walk elegantly to the cliff edge to
Here Comes the BrideHere Comes the BrideHere Comes the Bride

Nicola makes her way to the cliff top accompanied by her dad, Allard.
meet her husband-to-be.

After exchanging vows and rings, Mike and Nicola sat down to sign the register and make it all officially legal - husband and wife! Allard circulated amongst the wedding guests handing out miniature bottles of champagne that contained blowing bubbles while waitresses served up the real bubbly. We chatted to some of Mike's family while photos were taken before heading inside for the celebrations.

Inside the reception venue, we were honoured to be sat at the family table with Liz's sisters and Allard's brothers - Ian who we've met several times before and Lex who we met for the first time - and their wives. Speeches were made, glasses were raised, food was served and a good time was had by all.

To top off the fabulous afternoon, we were treated to a breathtaking sunset - something that Karioitahi Beach is famous for but that the weather was threatening not to deliver. However, at just the right moment, the clouds all but vanished leaving the most amazing glow stretching across the horizon. A perfect scene for a perfect day. Congratulations to the new Mr & Mrs Leckie!


Additional photos below
Photos: 13, Displayed: 13


Advertisement

Here Comes the Bride 2Here Comes the Bride 2
Here Comes the Bride 2

It was very windy!
The CeremonyThe Ceremony
The Ceremony

Bride and Groom prepare to take their vows.
bridesmaidsbridesmaids
bridesmaids

Nicola's mum Liz made the bridesmaid dresses herself!
I Do!I Do!
I Do!

Mike and Nicola prepare to sign the register after being pronounced husband and wife :-)
BubblesBubbles
Bubbles

Champagne bubbles - of the blowing not drinking variety!
Karioitahi BeachKarioitahi Beach
Karioitahi Beach

View of Karioitahi Beach from the cliff top.
Smile!Smile!
Smile!

It's family photo time with Nicola's mum and dad.
Just JudeJust Jude
Just Jude

Just to prove I was there!
StartersStarters
Starters

Some nice bready nibbles for starters.
SunsetSunset
Sunset

Karioitahi Beach is famous for its wonderful sunsets and this one was just perfect!
Cutting the CakeCutting the Cake
Cutting the Cake

Nicola even made her own wedding cake!


Tot: 0.246s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 21; qc: 82; dbt: 0.1636s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb