Evening from New Zealand!


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » North Island » Auckland » Central
January 29th 2012
Published: January 29th 2012
Edit Blog Post

Evening everybody!



We have arrived in Auckland after a short 2 and a half hour flight from Fiji. We left Bounty Island after just one night for Mana. We only just managed to leave as Fiji got hit by a hurricane and our little boat was cancelled due to the rough seas. Luckily, the big boat was still going but it was very rough and after listening to 5 people being sick in bags around us, a trip to the toilet was needed! Monday and Tuesday were very bad on Mana Island, a cyclone with very high winds and therefore not much to do but play cards! The hostel was ok, very basic. We had a dorm to ourselves though which was nice as only 2 other girls staying there in another dorm. Another youth hostel down the beach was a lot busier so we went there most nights. The weather changed on wednesday thankfully so topping up our tan was a must! We tried Kava for the first time on Monday night which looks and tastes like muddy water and isn't alocholic but is Fiji's "drink" as it numbs your lips and tongue and you sometimes hallucinate however Kathryn and I are obviously too hard core and felt nothing. Wednesday night was a big night, the Fijian boys did some traditional Fijian dancing and then everyone had Kava and Manamix (rum and coke mixed together). Due to the weather being so bad, the little boat couldn't bring any food to the island. It meant Monday and Tuesday's food was rice and noodles but luckily the boys caught a turtle which we ate at 1am and was amazing! Thursday we visited the school which had about 10 kids in it but nice to see. We went to Castaway Island on Thursday afternoon and saw where Tom Hanks slept in the caves and where he buried the pilot in the film and also built his raft to escape. A bit of snorkelling on the island before returning back to Mana Island. Yet more Kava on Thursday night. We left on Friday morning heading back to Bamboo on the mainland where we stayed for 2 nights, just sunbathing. Our flight was fine today and have booked the Kiwi Experience bus to leave on Tuesday morning. It goes from Auckland to Christchurch visiting many of the highlights such as Franz Josef Glacier, many lakes and activites along the way. It was also 45% off so a pretty good deal.

Hope you're all well, will try and update again soon.



Lots of loving, Rachel and Kathryn xxx

Advertisement



31st January 2012

Great sharing
good article~ http://nile1978.blogspot.com/

Tot: 0.065s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 10; qc: 49; dbt: 0.0339s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb