Auckland


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » North Island » Auckland » Central
November 6th 2009
Published: November 6th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Arrived in Auckland...neither me or Yvo had slept in 2 days so we were like the walking dead. Got to customs and had lots of questions posed to us. Then had to declare my walking boots. The woman took one look at them and said 'I need to clean these' so now they're very clean and smell a tad like disinfectant.

Got to the hostel at 7am so couldn't check in until 1. Walked around the city in a massive daze then as soon as we got into our room we fell asleep for a few hours. Great introduction to hostel living....the loudest and most irritating spaniards talking at 3am (spaniards don't know how to whisper!!) Tried to get up, had a meal then pretty much went back to bed.

Next day was far more productive. Walked along Auckland harbour bridge (had to be harnessed onto the bridge and walked along the metal grilles) amazing views and we watched a few people from our group bungy jump aswell (no, we didn't bungy...we are wuss') Then we went to this incredible fish market and had fish and chips (I had taitiki fish...or soemthing like that...needless to say everything was caught
DolphinDolphinDolphin

One of many dolphins...the day my phone drowned
fresh that morning and cod was not on the menu) Then that night we went for drinks with 2 guys we met from Inverness called Norman and Ben (they actually did the bungy jump) turned into a bit of a messy night but was really good fun and we've been hanging out with them most days.

Next day (with vague hangover) went on a dolphin and whale safari. Incedible! Saw hudreds of doplhins all swimming up next to the boat and lots of bulugha whales in the near distance. Was a bit liek something off David Attenborough. Then, as we were heading home, the skipper warned us that the boat approaching would cause a huge wave so to head to the back if we didn't want to get soaked. Sooooo grabbed my bag quickly and my phone went flying out, slid the entire length of the boat, and fell off the back. So now the dolphins have a new toy and i have a seriously old school phone as replacement! Also got incredibly burnt so have looked a bit like a glowing loon for a few days.

Anyway, today i think was the best day by far. Went
BurnBurnBurn

Red face burn and my new brick phone!
to Rantiago island, its about 20 minute ferry from the mainland and is one of the 3rd most symetrical volcanoes in the world. Walked right to the summit, around the crater, then through some lava caves (very dark and complicated to walk through without a torch!)

Anyway, thats pretty much it for now. Going out to dinner this evening with the guys then headed off to the Bay of Islands at 7.30am...


Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement

RangitotoRangitoto
Rangitoto

On top of some lava rock on the island


Tot: 0.047s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 13; qc: 27; dbt: 0.0196s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb