L'Ile des Pins (Isle of Pines)


Advertisement
New Caledonia's flag
Oceania » New Caledonia
September 19th 2007
Published: October 6th 2007
Edit Blog Post

After Noumea I went to Isle of Pines. I was planning to stay there for 2 days (camping), but unfortunately there were no planes available to fly back to Noumea. So that’s why I stayed there for just one day. I went there with a boat called Betico. I bought a round trip ticket for 9000 CFP (about 80 EUR). Betico is modern vessel, it can carry about 350 passengers. It took us about 2 hours to get to Isle of Pines. But sometimes the ocean can be rough, so prepare for that. I went there with a friend from YHA. When we arrived we rented a car for a day. It was around 50 EUR. I recommend renting a car on Isle of Pines, because even though the Island is kinda small, there are a lot of things to see up north and on the east cost, and with a car you can reach them all. Roads are very good on the Isle of Pines.

So we went to Baie d’Oro. From there is about 15 minutes of walking to reach the natural aquarium. It’s amazing place to see. But you have to be careful of the snakes. When we were snorkeling here in the natural aquarium, we saw at lest 5 tricot rayes. So keep your eyes open. After that we went to Vao. It’s the island’s main centre, and there are some nice statutes of Kanak culture. And here you can also see some traditional Kanak boats. We also went to Oumagne cave, which is a very nice and interesting place. For swimming I would recommend Baie de Kanumera.

That’s how we saw the whole island. It is a magnificent place, definitely a must see in New Caledonia. But one day trip is ok, but it’s to short. I would recommend at least 2 days. A good place to sleep is Oure Lodge.


Additional photos below
Photos: 22, Displayed: 22


Advertisement



Tot: 0.07s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 7; qc: 56; dbt: 0.0477s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb