Lifou


Advertisement
New Caledonia's flag
Oceania » New Caledonia » Loyalty Islands Province
September 21st 2007
Published: October 7th 2007
Edit Blog Post

My next destination was the island of Lifu in the Loyalty Islands. Again we went there with Betico. It took us around 6 hours to get there. We stopped first on the island of Mare (4 hours) and then we went to Lifu. One way ticket costs 7000 CFP (around 60 EUR). In Lifu we were camping in Motel chez Rachel. It’s a good place for camping, it’s about 100 m from the beach in the city of We (capital). It costs 1500 CFP for a day per tent. Well again we rented a car for 4 days. There are no buses on the island so the best way to get around is by hitchhiking. On the second day we went to the south part of the island. We visited the city of Jozip, Mu, Xodre,… We were swimming on the beach Luengoni. It’s a magnificent beach. If you go snorkeling a bit away from this beach (700 meters) you can see a lot of turtles. Lifu is very famous for its turtles. But be careful for the sharks. When we came back to Noumea we heard that a girl was beaten by shark on this beach, and because she was swimming alone, there was no one to help her, so she bleeded to death. By the way, in New Caledonia there is every known type of shark. So be careful!!! After Luengoni we went to the west coast. In Peng there is a very nice beach. The third day we went to the north. Easo, Xepenehe, Wanaham, Jokin. The north part is very interesting. Jokin is situated on the high cliffs, so you can get an amazing view of the ocean. We also visited Grotte du Diable (Devil’s cave). It’s an amazing place. After Devil’s cave a local family invited us for a bougna (bunja). It’s a traditional dish, made out of fish, chicken etc. If you will have a chance try it, it’s very good.

And I have to say, that Lifu is definitely one of the best islands I’ve ever been. It was a petty that we didn’t go to Ouvea. It’s the last island. It is even more beautiful than Lifu. Thay say it’s paradise and than is Ouvea. So if you will have a chance, go to Ouvea.



Additional photos below
Photos: 22, Displayed: 22


Advertisement



Tot: 0.089s; Tpl: 0.026s; cc: 7; qc: 51; dbt: 0.0494s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb