From the Middle of Nowhere


Advertisement
French Polynesia's flag
Oceania » French Polynesia » Nuku Hiva
January 17th 2008
Published: January 19th 2008
Edit Blog Post

From the Middle of Nowhere

Here we are, Jan. 17th, still two days from land. We haven’t seen any thing other than some frigate birds, a few flying fish, and a school of dolphins. No other ships, and no land at all for a week. On Saturday we arrive at Nuka Hiva where there are no roads, as such, but a few friendly natives probably selling trinkets. Everyone will be so glad to get off the ship that he or she will no doubt buy anything.
We have gone to several lectures and talks about the planets, the upcoming ports, managing pain of arthritis, healthy foods, navigation and security on board, buying diamonds, even an art auction that Brigid and I went to and had a few laughs as the auctioneer kept saying “I can do multiples of this one, so anyone who wants this lovely picture can buy it for only $1,300.” We’ve done a lot of reading on deck and enjoyed that. Today we may even play a little bridge for a change.
Last night we were surprised to find the table set for one more person, and the security officer sat with us. He’s from India and used to work in Dubai at the airport before joining Holland America. He said that 15 officers are allowed to bring family aboard, and fourteen families are here, but his family won’t be here until we reach Chennai, India. He told of one time recently on this ship but another cruise, one of the crew got a call from his sister saying his girlfriend left him for another guy. He left the phone dangling and jumped overboard. The ship turned around and attempted to find him, but couldn’t. That, he said, was the worst thing that happened on his watch. The evening was very nice, and he bought us lots of wine! I’m sure he was there because Lady Grundy (Marie Louise, to us) is at our table - or are we at hers?
I’m going to put this on the blog before the last one because we are so far away from everything that I can’t upload any pictures because the signal is too weak. We lost CNN days ago, and depend on yesterday’s copy of the New York Times Digest to let us know what’s going on. The ship gets that online and prints copies for everyone. Anyway, we crossed the equator the other day and Bruce took pictures. So, we’ll print that blog when the signal is strong enough to add pictures. At least we’re out of the doldrums around the equator, and have a current to help the ship go ½ a knot faster now. The sea is very calm and the water very vast, and very blue.



Advertisement



23rd January 2008

Ahoy!
Ahoy Cindy and Bruce! Finally logged on to check out your trip. Sounds like you are having an amazing time. I am jealous! Keep the blogs and pictures coming!

Tot: 0.103s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 7; qc: 53; dbt: 0.0608s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb