Still at Sea


Advertisement
French Polynesia's flag
Oceania » French Polynesia » Nuku Hiva
January 15th 2008
Published: January 22nd 2008
Edit Blog Post

Still at Sea

It’s Sunday, Jan.13 and the sun is shining. We had a nice walk around the deck before breakfast, and are soon going to the lecture by Prof. Dunn about the planets. We set our clocks back another hour last night so we are now on Mountain time. Go figure. We did watch the Packer game until the third quarter when we went to dinner. After dinner we heard the Packers won, but the New England fans were upset because the satellite went out, and they never saw anything and still don’t know who won because the internet is down, too. Ah, life is cruel sometimes.
Today it Tuesday, the 15th and we crossed the equator yesterday, and gained another hour. There’s been intermittent satellite reception for a couple of days and not a strong enough signal to upload another entry, so I’ll wait another day to try to get online. In the meantime, we’ll tell you about the ceremony crossing the equator. Bruce went and took some pictures which we hope to put on the blog when the signal is strong enough. Hell explain it better than I. Now, Heeers Bruce!

Ahoy ye landlubbers far & wide - the good ship Amsterdam entered the southern hemisphere at 1400 hours on Jan 14. Of course we were greeted by King Neptune (who vaguely resembled the Cruise Director) accompanied by Queen what’s-her-name to dispense punishment to lowly pollywogs seeking to cross the line for the first time. Basically the cruel and inhuman treatment included having to kiss a dead fish and getting doused in colored goo before being thrown into the pool. The goo was apportioned about each body by some good-looking nurses, which the moderator described as better than pay-TV. King Neptune and the Captain we escorted from the ceremony with a rousing rendition of Anchors Aweigh. I documented the jolly occasion with many photos for the BlogMaster, some of which will be selected for our esteemed document.




Advertisement



23rd January 2008

ah but...
Ah matie, but did YOU kiss the fish and roll in the goo?!

Tot: 0.166s; Tpl: 0.023s; cc: 8; qc: 53; dbt: 0.0765s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb