Shark encounter at Bora Bora


Advertisement
French Polynesia's flag
Oceania » French Polynesia » Bora Bora
May 12th 2013
Published: May 13th 2013
Edit Blog Post

Here we are now at Bora Bora, one hour flight north of Tahiti in French Polynesia. This island is by many said to be paradise on earth and we can only agree, it is beautiful. The rocky mountains on the island are all covered with green and they are surrounded by a lagoon with turquoise water. We are staying on one of the motu, coral islands, on the outside of the lagoon. The view over the lagoon towards the island is fantastic!

The climate here is much warmer than on Rapa Nui. The temperature is around 30 degrees and the water is about the same. So far we have stayed on our motu and just enjoying the place. Canoeing in the lagoon, snorkeling and walking on the rough outside of the reef. We're staying at a small family resort with few guests and our own bungalow right on the beach.

Thursday we went diving again. The first dive of the day was in the lagoon at a site called "Manta cleaning station". A spot where manta rays come to get cleaned by the smaller lagoon fishes. However there were no mantas wanting a clean up today... The second dive was in the ocean on the outside of the reef where it could be possible to see sharks. And this time we were lucky! We saw both a lemon shark (3 meters long!) and three black tip sharks! Amazing! Martin had to ascent a little earlier due to headache and Clara stayed down a little longer with our dive leader. His comment when the two of them joined Martin on the surface was "Your wife does not want to come up!" This summarises these dives well.

Walking about on our own beach we can see some other fun animals. As the different crabs eating coco nuts, small water snakes, murrays and small sting rays patrolling the shallow waters of the lagoon.


Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement



Tot: 0.075s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 10; qc: 50; dbt: 0.04s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb