Melanesian Championhips


Advertisement
Fiji's flag
Oceania » Fiji
July 10th 2016
Published: June 26th 2017
Edit Blog Post

Geo: -18.1333, 178.417

The Melanesian Championships started with an Opening Ceremony on Wednesday Night, It included a march past of all the teams and a cultural dance display. There was a large Australian contingent and Fiji had entered both a major team and a development squad. The proceedings included a display of Indigenous dancing and male bravado which was very entertaining.

During the three days of the championships I fulfilled a variety of roles. I was appointed as a Chief Judge for field events so over the three days I chiefed a High Jump, a long jump, three discus throws and five shot puts. The weather was great, no rain and very mild days. During the events I worked with several local officials and was most impressed by their enthusiasm and willingness to learn the event. Each day we worked with a different team but I was fortunate to have Matelita, Raymond and Joseph who were local officials but keen to learn

We had fantastic weather for the four days of the championships. Many of the local athletes improved their personal bests and on the last day Toia Wisil from PNG ran an Olympic qualifying for the 100 metres. Most nights we returned to our accommodation and after a quick meal retire to bed. It was a very taxing few days with a busy schedule and a packed program.

On the last night we were invited to go to the Closing party at the gymnasium next to the track. Having sampled the cuisine of the caterers and not wanting to throw ourselves into the music of the new century we gave it a miss. Instead we went to the Hotel Grand Pacific to have a pre dinner drink. This bastion of colonialism has been recently renovated. We went out onto the terrace near the pool and had a gin and tonic, it was a beautiful evening, with a slight breeze. From there we went to Tiko's again. This time I had a lobster bisque followed by a surf and turf. With the sirloin steak was a whole lobster tail. Delicious but way too much!!

The championships were very successful in terms of athletes and performances. I really enjoyed the opportunity to work with the local people and perform in an efficient manner..


Additional photos below
Photos: 10, Displayed: 10


Advertisement



Tot: 0.06s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 7; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0422s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb