05th - 14th June Nadi (Viti Levu) and Tavewa (Yasawa Islands)


Advertisement
Fiji's flag
Oceania » Fiji
June 14th 2006
Published: June 19th 2006
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0

Nadi, Momi and Tavewa


Its the end of the first leg of my travels... I say goodbye to Malc and hello to Nins... Its a strange time, as I am really happy to see Nina, but also very sad to leave Malc. We have had a great few months together and experienced some incredible things. A trip I will hold dear to me for the years to come.

Nins and I leave LA in the evening. Nina is still a little Jet lagged from the UK journey and I guess she will not know up from down when she gets to Fiji, which is 12 hours and a date line away.... The 4th of June does not exist for us this year - spent ages trying to work it out in my head, but basically we went from 8 hours behind the UK to 11 hours ahead of the UK and in doing so skipped the 4th June! Very weird.

Fiji was a place of contradictions... I loved it and hated it at the same time. There were some incredible moments and also time when we both wanted to leave the place!

The first six days were spent on the mainland of Viti Levu, in a small budget resort called Seashell on the Momi coast... The main Island is by no means the most attractive of the Fijian Islands, but we stayed here for an extended period of time as we fell in love with the Navula Reef, a dive site 10 mins out from the resort.... We completed 10 dives and during that time were the only people diving the reef - it was magical! We were spoilt by what we saw - it was definitely the best diving I have ever done. Over the
6 days, we saw over 25 sharks, one of which I actually stroked, a load of Hawksbill and Green turtles, rays, morays, Lion fish and a massive array of soft and hard corals. Incredible! We also managed our first ever night dives. Great Stuff!!!

The nights after the diving were slow - nothing much happened and we tended to hit the sack early and get eaten by mosquitoes!

Our last few days were spent on Tavewa Island in the Yasawas, an incredible group of small Islands stretching up the North West of Viti Levu. Tavewa is mindblowingly beautiful and was used to film parts of movie Blue Lagoon.. We had golden sand beaches and bright blue sea to ourselves and made the most of these, lazing away the days reading, swimming and soaking up the sun... Again the nights were dull and we were again eaten alive by mosquitoes! Ho Hum!

I will remember Fiji for the incredible diving, fantastic beaches and smiley happy people... Bula Bula :-)



Additional photos below
Photos: 53, Displayed: 23


Advertisement



Tot: 0.231s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 16; qc: 82; dbt: 0.0836s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb