Fiji, the home stretch


Advertisement
Fiji's flag
Oceania » Fiji
August 13th 2010
Published: August 13th 2010
Edit Blog Post

Hey everyone, this will be our last blog and consequently our only blog from Fiji, I can't believe how quickly its all gone! Fiji is beautiful, the people are all smiles and interested in where you're from (of course, occasionally just trying to make a profit) and we are currently staying at the 'Beachhouse' which leads on to the beach and is somewhere between a jungle, Nadi and Suva.
After flying in to Nadi we checked in to Drift In, a very cheap hostel with very mixed reviews, and after no answer to our request for our 'free' airport pick up, neither of us were feeling that comfortable with the arrangements. On arriving it was fine, but it didn't really feel like a hostel, there was no internet, even for the staff; only four guests whilst the family who lived there dominated the whole hostel. Basically we immediately didn't feel comfortable there so decided that we'd find somewhere else asap. After nearly 3 hours in an internet cafe we realised two things: a) Fiji is generally very expensive when it comes to nice accommodation b) but we seemed to have found a lovely place which was only a three hour bus ride away.
Getting the bus was quite the experience, Fijian children are really curious of Westerners which made our journey lot more fun and it allowed us to see Fiji's natural beauty as we sped through the countryside. We also stopped off at a small 'local' (just under an hour away by bus) village which was pretty cool. Then we arrived at the Beach house.
This place is lovely. Loads of really nice people, activities (we're going to watch Fijian rugby semi-finals today!) and the sun is shining whether you be in the shade of a palm tree, relaxing in the pool, or walking around the nearby beach. In the words of an Oz here 'welcome to Paradise'; they also do seriously good cocktails! We're basically just relaxing this week, and trying to get some kind of tan before returning to, what will appear, a very cold England.
I can't believe we'll be home so soon! I hope you all have had great summers, we certainly have from fish spas in the streets of Bangkok to skydiving it really has been quite the trip - the UK will probably feel a bit boring after all this! But it will be so good to see everyone 😊. One thing for certain is, you can't go travelling like this once and then not go back to do some more - already both Ed and I are imagining where each of us will end up next and discussing corners of the world which will have to be explored sooner of later. Of course this trip couldn't have happened without a lot of your help and for that we're both very, very grateful - you made it possible.
The books I mentioned in the last blog that we bought were Chocolat and Yes man. For those of you who don't know Yes man its by Danny Wallace and its been made in to a film now; the basic idea is to say yes to everything to experience life more. I feel like we've said yes to every opportunity, and have no regrets. Its the things you don't do you regret and we've done as much as physically possible out here, so its probably a 'yes' to everything when we get home!
See you all in a few days. Over and out from our last blog,

Sarah and Ed xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Advertisement



Tot: 0.172s; Tpl: 0.019s; cc: 9; qc: 48; dbt: 0.0698s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb