Travels through Fiji's Nadi, Yasawa Islands and Mamanuca Islands


Advertisement
Fiji's flag
Oceania » Fiji
January 14th 2008
Published: January 14th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Mom crying ...Mom crying ...Mom crying ...

the sister doesn't look like she cares too much.
We are back in Wellington for the next couple of weeks earning some more dollar dollar bills and planning the Middle Eastern part of our trip.

But we just had an eventful time backpacking through Fiji (with no shoes ... it is a very shoe-less culture there). We did some island hopping, and I did some jumping out of planes. All around a good time.

My favorite chill spot was Botaira Beach Resort. We had a really awesome looking bure, and all the meals were communal, which led to some good conversation and fun happy hours. Even though it is advertised as a place for honeymoons, I enjoyed it way more than the resort we stayed in Tahiti. Fiji is also more backpacker-friendly in general, and all the prices at the resort were much more in my budget -- except the bottle water ... nine Fiji dollars (which is more than you would think ... 1.00 FJD=0.65 USD).

To satisfy the party requirement of the trip, we stayed at Beachcomber Island Resort. We stayed in the dorms (which store more than 100 backpackers at a time). Rachel didn't like how dirty and cramped the dorms were (they were very cramped and very dirty), but I liked how social they were. The first night we got there, we met some travelers from Canada, England, Scotland and California. The island also had a ton of activities from cocktail courses to water-tubbing (or biscuit-ing?). Although the beach was nicer here, I kind of missed the more low-key Botaira by the second day.

We spent one day in Nadi (Fiji's third largest village). I thought it was a really cool town ... there wasn't a lot to do there, but Fiji is a place that has a pretty dynamic culture. Nadi (pronounced Nandi) is kind of Fiji's Muslim and Hindu center. We saw the incredible Nadi Mosque there and the Sri Siva Subramaniya temple (the largest Hindu temple in the Southern hemisphere, according the answers.com).

AND I went skydiving, but the jumping out of a plane was kind of overshadowed by two things: the incredible beauty of Fiji's coast on the way down and the douchebaggery of the Tandem Skydive Fiji employees (http://www.skydivefiji.com.fj/). I jumped at 11,000 feet, which was "wimpy" according to the Skydive employees. They were douchebags. At first, I thought they just wanted me to spend the extra 150 dollars to go hire ... but they also got in my face about it after the jump.


Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement

Bug NetBug Net
Bug Net

We used most of our bug spray.
Coming DownComing Down
Coming Down

I had to hold my knees the whole time ... looked pretty funny.
Rachel has great timing ...Rachel has great timing ...
Rachel has great timing ...

the not-so-graceful landing.
Post-LandingPost-Landing
Post-Landing

I felt pretty good.


Tot: 0.107s; Tpl: 0.018s; cc: 12; qc: 47; dbt: 0.05s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb