Swimming with Friendly Fijian Sharks!


Advertisement
Fiji's flag
Oceania » Fiji » Yasawa Islands
January 4th 2008
Published: January 10th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Had some brekkie and then clambered into the boat for reef shark snorlking! excellent! It was about 15 mins on the boat and then we got to the reef, we had George and Kali as guides and they were amazing! I have never seen anything like it in my life! They dived down to the bottom and whilst we were swimming about and they were spearing some of the fish to use as bait for the sharks, when the shark came to them, they fed them to fish and then grabbed the sharks tail and brought it closer to the surface so we could see it! Mark an irish guy even got to stroke it! amazing! They held it by its back as well and by its tail a few times(when asking Kali later he said the sharks are like humans as if you gave a human food they would like you so they give the shark food and it likes them! ha ha! Now thats a theory and a half!) It was excellent though and there were 3 sharks in the end that came which was brilliant! The reef was good though and the water really clear which is always great. Have to say though that is one of the best things I have done. The sharks were swimming quite close to you as well if they came up a bit! wooooooooo!

We said good by to Johan (Dutch) and Lucy (UK) as they were moving onto our next resort but a day earlier than us, Im sure we will see them tomorrow!

Before the sharks we were not feeling the love for Fiji as everything is damp, our clothes keep getting wet and wont dry and theres no hot water and nothing to do! But the sharks brightened up our day! We pottered about a bit as its still raining and then had an siesta - again I know but its tipping it down so not much else to do!

We woke up and went off to do the island summit walk which was great! It was quite slippy and tough going in places but nice to do some proper exercise! It was raining a bit though and then we had a massive downpour whilst at the top of the summit! There was not a dry part of our clothes! It was a shame as we could have seen a lot further if it had been nice weather, even all the way to the mainland! Anyhow, it was fun and worth it, we got to meet a friendly spider - I swear Fijians say every animal is friendly! Had a swim in the sea in my clothes when we got back as I was soaked anyway and the sea was warmer than the rain! Good eh?!

We had dinner then Jacko - Fijian guy asked us to join in the Kava ceremony. We sat on the floor with them and Kava is their local drink. It's not alochol but it like a herb/wheat kind of thing which is crushed and they mix with water. Someone is in control of the big pot and they pass you Kava and you drink it out if a coconut shell. You have to clap your hands once and say Bula, then drink it and then clap 3 times. Kaza is erm interesting, it makes your tongue a bit tingly and numb when you have had a few and tastes only of herbal water, not really very nice but it was fun to do and sit and learn about Fiji life from jacko!

Only managed 5 half cups and then had to bow out gracefully as it's not the best flavoured drink in the world!


Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement



Tot: 0.144s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 7; qc: 51; dbt: 0.0708s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb