Village Visit - Octopus Resort


Advertisement
Fiji's flag
Oceania » Fiji » Yasawa Islands
September 5th 2005
Published: September 13th 2005
Edit Blog Post

We're up early again...6.30am...woken by the waves crashing on the beach. After breakfast we decide to go on the organised trip to the village...but time for some snorkelling first.

Its best to access the reef at high tide although it is possible at all times. There are quite a lot of fish and some nice coral. The best area is either side of the crescent shaped bay. As I'm getting out I feel a sharp wrap on my wrist...it seems one of the fish took a liking to my shiny watch.....wont be wearing that again.

So later its off to the village. Theres no charge for the trip, but we decide to take a few dollars to spend at the village craft market. The walk to the village is up a fairly steep hill, but we manage it ok in our beach shoes. As we approach the village there are a number of roughly constructed pig pens....food for the villagers.

Its important to note local customs and etiquette when visiting these places....its only a few hundred years since they stopped eating people!! Women must cover their shoulders and knees. Men must cover knees and remove any hats / shades etc.

We are greeted by the village elders and sit down to a kava ceremony. Each taking it in turns to samplethe wonderful brew! It tastes of muddy water, with a bit of added grit for good measure. It makes your mouth and lips go numb. All the women are sat at the back, blokes at the front. 4 or 5 drinks later and the locals start their Meke. A local dance / songs. A very energetic perfomance, but you get the idea of what things would have been like in days gone by....this time the spears are only ceremonial. Thank God.

After the meke the local women display various craft items that they have made (or bought in town in bulk for resale). We peruse their wares and buy a couple of items to take home. We spend a total of $20 (6 quid)

The houses in the village are quite basic by UK standards but appararently, as Fiji villages go, its quite good. Its an enjoyable trip and well worth going.

Sarah has booked a massage in the afternoon, with one of the women working at the resort. It only costs $15 for an hour (4.50 in real money)...and it gives the women a chance to earn some extra cash.

Dinner tonight was lovo...the traditional fijian meal described in earlier days. As we are eating a girl at the back of the restaurant screams out.....a large beetle has fallen on her. Now, we dont mean large as in a couple of cms long...this specimen was about 5 inches long and 2 inches wide....it could have fed a family of four for at least a couple of days......must remember to zip up the tent properly tonight!

More later.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.072s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 9; qc: 48; dbt: 0.0338s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb