More hard days in paradise :-)


Advertisement
Fiji's flag
Oceania » Fiji » Yasawa Islands » Naviti Island
May 20th 2009
Published: May 20th 2009
Edit Blog Post

So we (we meaning the 13 or so of us that are all doing the same ultimate lei pass; lots of norweigens, germans, and some americans aussi) arrived at Korovou eco resort on Naviti Island, Korovou meaning new village. We were greeted agin by song and cance and a welcome flower in the hair and some juice :-) Korovou was a real nice resort, had a pool! Couold quite easily ahve stayed there for longer. More Bula dancing in the evening and being retaught the highly speedy and addictive card game; im clearly very out of practise as rosie and Zoe completely whooped me repeatedly! grrrr need to work on that one!

The next day we were off snorkelling with manta rays! ahhhhhh hw cool was that! They are such beautiful majestic creatures, jus going about their ways as hoards of excited backpackers try to keep up with them! Not sure how many there were but i followed one for a good 5 minutes, they beautiful! :-)

Then we were back on the boat again and off to Waya lai lai island, meaning small village, altho its a very big island! Waya lai lai was awesome, again greeted on the beach, but by an albino fijian, never seen that before, pretty cool. Taken in by some of the ladies of the village and shown how to weave; we made bookmarks, rings, bracelets, all sorts! We were then treated to a traditional lovo - fijian meal, cooked underground. And we ate with our fingers, traditional fijian style. that was interesting with eggplant and spinach but still very yummy! Another very professional bula dance this evening, half the village were there which was lovely to see.

We were up the next day at 5am to do a sunrise summit walk, Waya lai lai island is a huage lump of rock with lots of other bits of rock on top! Considering i hadnt eaten and it was rather warm, got a bit light headed during the steep incline but once we got to the top, after a bit of rock climbing, the views were incredible and it made breakfast taste a million times better! :-) Then chilled out for the rest of the day, met a girl from the village called millie who looked through all my pictures and asked al about them. Poor sam, my american pal experience the act of kerekere - the unconditional act of giving which the fijians are known for. Sam went fishing with one of the ladies and after 5 hours in a teeny boat, the wee lady asked for sams purse and shoes for her daughter! eeek! so i went to the village with her where we were invited int for tea and kasava in her wee reed kitchen looking out onto to the sea. Sam gace her daughter a top and a dress then all was well :-)

Went shark snorkelling the next day,eeek! jus white and grey tip reef sharks but the guides were feeding them so they were swimming real close and one actually swam into me! Not cool! They were also grabbing onto their tales, really agitating them which vet thornton was not happy about. but it was really awesome to be in the water around them :-)

We then spent the afternoon inside watching the rain pour down and then it was off to South Sea island, our final stop.

watch this space......

Advertisement



Tot: 0.097s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 14; qc: 43; dbt: 0.0461s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb