Bula! and stuff.


Advertisement
Fiji's flag
Oceania » Fiji » Viti Levu » Nadi
April 6th 2006
Published: April 6th 2006
Edit Blog Post

Hey everyone. Sorry about not updating for a while, the net access in Fiji was dodgy in Nadi and nonexistent on the island I went to (more about that later). I'm actually posting this from my uncle's house in New Zealand.

After rather cool weather in LA the air in Fiji hit like a hammer along with a loud "Bula!" from the airport staff. This is 3AM and it's very hot. Driving through Nadi and sweating, things don't seem that great in Fiji. Nadi looks run down and charmless and after a quick look around the place I'm staying shows nothing special.

Since I was tired I just fell asleep on my bunk and (after waking up with bites on my feet the next morning- mosquitos are everywhere in Fiji) arranged for immediate transfer to an island resort on the south coast from the travel agent in the hostel.

This turned out to be the right choice- the island was very nice. I transfered to the island by coach and boat and thus commenced complete relaxation for two days. Well, that and kayaking round the island for fun. Surprisingly, the sun barely touched me, probably due to the near religious use of factor 30 sun cream and basking in the shade due to the incredible heat. Mostly I just hung around with other travellers enjoyed the scenery. Fiji is an incredibly beautiful place and I imagine you could spend a while there going from place to place. Two girls at the resort were staying in that one resort for almost a month which seems a bit much, but there you go.

I went back to stay a night in Nadi due to an early flight and visited the cashpoint in town, an interesting trip which included a bus with no windows in a tropical storm and some Asia practice ("Bula! What's your name? Where you from? Want to come to my shop?") I also tried some Chinese food Pizza (not a good combination).

In conclusion, Fiji is very nice. I also managed to skip the $30 departure tax I was supposed to pay at the airport (no-one asked for it) which was a relief.

Wish me happy birthday!

Advertisement



6th April 2006

Happy birthday
Glad to hear you are still around! Happy birthday, enjoy NZ.
6th April 2006

Birthday greetings!
Bula! and Happy birthday. Now you are officially in the Southern Hemisphere you can watch you bath water gurgle down the plughole in a completely different way!! How nice! Keep well, Dad
8th April 2006

Yo-ho
Happy birthday dude! Don't work yourself too hard, bathing in the sun and all...

Tot: 0.079s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 10; qc: 50; dbt: 0.0403s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb