Island Life


Advertisement
Fiji's flag
Oceania » Fiji » Taveuni
November 23rd 2007
Published: November 24th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Finally, we woke up to day that was somewhat nice out - that is, a small break in the clouds and we could actually see a little blue. Of course that got me ecstatic! So we had a nice breakfast and set off on our day. Babu was our driver and he showed us the west coast of Taveuni Island.

Drove through quite a few villages on our way south - all similar in size and the way they looked. It is all extremely rustic, with the families living in only what I could call metal rusted shacks - they look like one room buildings made of extra sheet metal. We were told every village had two things - a church and a rugby field, and that certainly was true.

We drove down to the International Date Line place - the 180th meridian runs right through this island, only one of few that can claim that. So, basically we were standing on a place that was both today and yesterday - it was quite a weird thing to think about.
Then we drove by the most symbolic church on the island, which is part of a grammar school. You can certainly tell that work has been done by the missionaries around here - so many different types of churches everywhere you go. It’s very overwhelming.
Saw some kids practicing for the big rugby tournament this weekend, some young kids learning a song to sing for their class culmination ceremony, and other kids just playing.

On the way back we stopped at the natural waterslide. This is a little waterfall type thing that is smooth and fast enough to be used as a waterslide. And apparently, its the hot spot for the kids on their weekend and summer breaks. Well, we both braed the trip down - but i think our bodies are too big for it and too brittle, because i felt bruised up The climb up the rocks was the hardest part. All in all, it was a good time.

We then drove through a town - and got out and walked around. The local farmers “market”, some stores, some homes. It was all quite interesting to see. It’s amazing how some of these people live - and it makes me even more ashamed at what luxury we are staying in here. But that is life.
Interntional DatelineInterntional DatelineInterntional Dateline

We are in today and yesterday at the same time!


Then we got home - a nice lunch, a relaxing afternoon, and a dinner with the sunset. We had coconut crab - now i thought this was goin to be a crab with coconut sauce...but was i wrong. These things are HUGE, ugly crabs that live on two islands in Fiji - they are called coconut crabs because they climb coconut trees and eat the coconuts. Link But they tasted pretty damn good.

A few notes:
- I have so many damn bug bites all over myself - it looks like i have a bad case of the chicken pox.
- Elana came out to play today



Additional photos below
Photos: 21, Displayed: 21


Advertisement

The Post OfficeThe Post Office
The Post Office

We stopped at a handicraft store near here.
SchoolSchool
School

Cute little kiddies
Rugby PracticeRugby Practice
Rugby Practice

Babu said there is a big inter-village tournament coming up this weekend.
Becky & Danny Becky & Danny
Becky & Danny

On our way to the water slide
Climbing in.Climbing in.
Climbing in.

I think i am too old for this.
On my wayOn my way
On my way

Definitely too old for this
Splash!!Splash!!
Splash!!

Yep, those are my feet in the air.
Local produceLocal produce
Local produce

A nice selection of peppers, bananas, gratefruite, cucumbers, etc.
Farm standFarm stand
Farm stand

A look at the local farm stand
PapayaPapaya
Papaya

Babu stole Rebecca a papaya from the side of the road. To eat it: cut it in half lengthwise, scoop out the seeds, squeeze a lime in it, eat it with a spoon. YUM
SunsetSunset
Sunset

Danny's favorite pics
HibiscusHibiscus
Hibiscus

So pretty.


24th November 2007

turkey in nyc
spending a relaxing wkend with bari. love reading your adventures...enjoy it all can't believe the trip it is second to none love u much

Tot: 0.095s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 7; qc: 49; dbt: 0.0425s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb