Last week in New Zealand & First week in Fiji


Advertisement
Fiji's flag
Oceania » Fiji » Suva
May 10th 2009
Published: May 10th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0

Fiji


Our last week in New Zealand with “Dr Who” our little camper van......................

Well as a matter of fact we had a nice last week there, the weather wasn’t to bad, dry most days with the odd appearance of Mr Sunshine. We spent most of the week back in Taupo, it’s a lovely little lakeside town and had a great free campsite just on the outskirts, everyone is a winner. We spent some time wondering round the town, plenty of window shopping and also borrowed the use of Taupo library, did some reading, sorted out our music collection and watched some films from there DVD section.

We decided to get into Auckland on the Saturday morning, found a great campsite just on the outskirts again (had to pay for this one) the plan was to spend the day wondering round the city, but guess what??????? It RAINED........ surprise surprise, but hey never mind.
Sunday came and bought with it a stunningly beautiful sunny day, so without any hesitation it was up and out. We jumped on the bus into Auckland Downtown, It is a lovely city with some stunning architecture and seemed like quite a relaxed and pleasant place to be, maybe because it was a Sunday, we will never know.

We went to the obligatory Sky Tower for the obvious tourist shots and also to watch some idiots throw themselves off the edge of the building (attached to a zip wire), not really for us though. So Auckland consisted of a nice wonder around the shops and down by the harbour.
Well it was time to head back and star the cleaning process on Dr Who and the even bigger issue of PACKING!!!!!!! That was fun.

Monday 4th May, time to go, woooooo hooooooo Fiji baby, dropped of Dr Who back at Spaceship, what a great company, they were so nice they even fully refunded all the unused hire we had, we really can’t praise them enough, what a great company and served us very well on our travels round New Zealand

Fiji........................ Finally

Well as you are all aware, we couldn’t wait to get out to Fiji, it was well worth the slow cold wait in Dr Who, we had a little 2hr 40min flight north to Fiji main island and landed in 28 degrees!!!!!!! Much better, we flew through the airport and found our shuttle to the hotel for our first night, great little hotel called The Mercure, perfect perfect perfect, cold beer in hand sat by the pool in shorts and flip flops.

Tuesday and time to go over to the Beachouse, our home for the next month, its about a 2hour drive from Nadi round to the Coral Coast, it all felt very familiar like a strange mix of Caribbean and Goa, so we naturally felt right at home, the dusty bumpy pot holed roads, the palm trees and the general aroma and feel of the country.

We have been here just under a week now and as it’s the end of the wet season we have had 5 days of rain, but this has not been a problem, there is still so much to do and lots of places to go relax, get a drink, read, play on the net or just crash out and watch some TV (well if a member of staff isn’t asleep on the sofa, funny) all this to help occupy the time between eating!!! Well there is free breakfast, a few hours then its lunch, a few more hours and its a free afternoon tea (Scones & Jam or Pancakes and Maple Syrup) then just a few more hours and its dinner. Its been nice eating real food, no more beans, ryvita or packet soups. Well as you can imagine all the good of not eating in NZ has be blown out the window!! Never mind hey, we are happy.

We have met some really nice people mainly from Europe, UK and Australia and had a great party night, where one of the guys suggested a “Chav Night” so amazingly and I don’t know how we did it, we transformed ourselves into very bad “Pompey Chavs” and had a great night and met some more colourful people.

The weather is definitely on the change and had a lovely day on Sunday, the whole resort just transformed under the brilliant sunshine, the sea turned a stunning turquoise blue and the heat just recharged everyone around us, plus we got to put some lotion on and get the sun glasses out.

All is good.


Advertisement



Tot: 0.081s; Tpl: 0.017s; cc: 5; qc: 47; dbt: 0.0415s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb