Tribewanted: VoroVoro-FIJI


Advertisement
Fiji's flag
Oceania » Fiji » Nadi
January 16th 2009
Published: January 16th 2009
Edit Blog Post

The languageThe languageThe language

A sign on the island to help you learn.

BILA SIA!



TRIBEWANTED is an Eco type holiday located in Voro Voro a remote Fijian island. I recently visited Voro Voro and I cannot recommend it enough! You learn all about Fijian culture while assisting in the projects on the island.
This could be helping in building a hut, help in the kitchen,weaving a mat or helping out in projects like building a dam or assist with construction of a wind turbine as an example.
The projects are varied and if you don’t want to help out you can just relax in one of the many hammocks, swim in the ocean, go snorkeling or climb the many peaks. You can also learn some Fijian, the Meke (dance you do while sitting down) and learn to husk coconuts. Many a night is spent on the island sitting around the grog mat, drinking kava and singing along by guitar and ukulele. Parties on the island with the Tribe are always fun, with party games, beer, kava and music.

Like I say I cannot recommend it enough. www.tribewanted.com

However, I do not recommend a trip to the Labasa Hospital. Two infected feet, a dirty Hospital (with a psych room where the patients escape), an unsanitary looking Injection Room (yes that is as it sounds) and a nurse called Mario (and I was not even sure he was qualified). Needless to say, I only went once despite the doctor telling me to come back for the next FIVE days for injections. I also had to get tested for Penicillin which involved drawing a circle on my arm in red biro and injecting in the middle, then staring at it for the next 20 minutes to see if I had a reaction! The next day I sought a second opinion and I didn’t even tell you about the old dry blood on the the needle bin or the dirty cloths that covered the clean needles. So if you are ever stuck in Labasa and need a doctor go here: 9 Nanuku Street Labasa. I saw Dr.Bharathee Balram a lovely doctor who has a laugh with you and treats you well.

I don't want to appear negetive, overall it was an experience and a half. If you go pack your sense of humour, your adventurous spiirt, your willingness to meet other travelers and get learning on Fijian.

GOODBYE: Mow-they
BULA: Hello
SARONG:
Thatching frondsThatching frondsThatching fronds

Thatching fronds together to fix the roof of the huts
Sue-loo
GOOD MORNING: Ni sa yarn-drah
HOUSE: mboo-ray
PLEASE: Cayray-Cayray
EXCUSE ME: Tu-low
THANKYOU / GOOD: Vee-nakha
YES: Ee-ooh
NO: Seng-Gah
NO PROBLEM: Seng-gah La-Engah
EAT: Kah-nah






Additional photos below
Photos: 13, Displayed: 13


Advertisement

The Grand BureThe Grand Bure
The Grand Bure

Where ceremonies are held or social get togethers
BowlingBowling
Bowling

Bowling with coconuts and coke bottles
Working with VoyWorking with Voy
Working with Voy

These are fronds which are soaked and dried and then rolled to be used in making mats.
Dressed for SevusevuDressed for Sevusevu
Dressed for Sevusevu

A ceremony of protection and to welcome you. This is performed by the chief Tui Malee.
Inside the Grand BureInside the Grand Bure
Inside the Grand Bure

Ready for Ceremony
The WingmenThe Wingmen
The Wingmen

The Wingmen perform a vital part of the Sevusevu
Drinking KavaDrinking Kava
Drinking Kava

Drinking Kava at Sevusevu


Tot: 0.106s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 6; qc: 44; dbt: 0.037s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb