Nepal - A Country of Beautiful People


Advertisement
Nepal's flag
Asia » Nepal » Himalayas
January 16th 2009
Published: January 16th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Namaste!



My trip to lovely Nepal was several years ago and I went specifically to do the Everest Base Camp with World Expeditions (who I highly recommend). I was based in Kathmandu to begin with and I remember discovering the Casino that night and the “free drinks”, enough said. Needless to the the 5 am start the next morning was not very welcome.
We flew into Lukla for the start of the trek and there was a big military presence due to the Maoists hiding out in the mountains, where I would be trekking. Every day there was something new on the trek I remember being quite high in altitude and passing a pub just hanging over the cliff face with full size pool table inside (probably the only thing keeping it held down).
At the beginning of the day we would ask our guide what the walk would be like and he would either say “Nepalese Flat” or “Australian Flat”. Nepalese flat meant steep climbs and many stairs. There were so many stairs carved into the mountains, that by the time we got back I had fantastic legs, but never wanted to see another stair again.
A couple of places to eat in Kathmandu, Thamel: The Rum Doodle http://www.therumdoodle.com/ for the atmosphere and also Kilroys of Kathmandu (western style). Places to visit: Durbar Square for he sights and sounds, Also check out the Stupas and Mandala artists. Basically just soak it all up.
A place I do not recommend is the Kathmandu Zoo. I found it to be very sad. There is an elephant there that if you want to pay extra you can ride him down the street. After visiting I was told that 5 years earlier he had gone on a rampage, in the streets.





Additional photos below
Photos: 15, Displayed: 15


Advertisement



Tot: 0.116s; Tpl: 0.016s; cc: 7; qc: 42; dbt: 0.0382s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb