Fiji: The Land of Bula!


Advertisement
Fiji's flag
Oceania » Fiji » Mamanuca Islands » Malolo Island
July 1st 2008
Published: July 28th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0

From the yacht club to the clouds


The ACTUAL Castaway IslandThe ACTUAL Castaway IslandThe ACTUAL Castaway Island

Where Tom Hanks and Wilson met!
They used to say that the world was flat, and if you sailed to the end, you'd plummet over the edge into an abyss..

COOL!

I'm now in the Eastern Hemisphere, having crossed the International Date Line and 180-degree mark.

Not much else to report, but I can safely say Fijans have been the friendliest people in my South Pacific experience. There are some small culture shocks, such as how people ask for gifts. The customs official came aboard, poked through our stuff, went through our wallets, and then asked if we had any iPods or DVDs or clothes that we would like to give him as a gift. I think he got a tshirt out of the ordeal, and he seemed disappointed about that.

The recent history of Fiji has seen an incredible amount of Indians introduced to the population by Europeans to "help" deforest huge swaths of land and work in the sugarcane fields. Some places are half native Fijan, half Indo-Fijan. It brings up some really interesting political and cultural questions. The native Fijans are desperate to hold onto their traditions, heritage, and political and financial power. The Indians born here are proud Fijan citizens who want equal rights to purchase land, make a living and practice their religion.

I find myself wondering..

What are the true values of tradition and heritage? How much of it is worth holding onto? How much can we realistically expect immigrants to embrace? How much of it is an excuse to discriminate?

Does government have a right to steer individual citizens on a predetermined course in life?

If we can't choose our skin colour or where we are born - if you could have just as easily been born in Africa or Asia - do 2nd generation immigrants deserve to be given the same rights and freedoms as a native?

Anyway, those are hypothetical questions, so don't bother telling me what you think. 😊

After a wild chase across the high seas, I finally caught up with my friends from Panama - Zach and Cody - and caught a ride on their boat for a couple of weeks of snorkeling and feasting! We are headed west to the mysterious islands of Vanuatu, and surely shenangians will ensue..

Enjoy the photos! BULA!

NOTE: Hiking, dancing and underwater photos taken by Zach and Cody. Sunset photos taken by me!


Additional photos below
Photos: 24, Displayed: 23


Advertisement

Wilson?! Where are you?!Wilson?! Where are you?!
Wilson?! Where are you?!

WILLLLLSOOOOONNNNNN!!
ZachZach
Zach

Hiking up Brokeback Mountain.
CodyCody
Cody

Y'all come back now, y'hear?
CliveClive
Clive

Stuffing my face with chocolate.
Fijan Dancing Position #2Fijan Dancing Position #2
Fijan Dancing Position #2

Get Set...............
Fijan Lap Dancing?Fijan Lap Dancing?
Fijan Lap Dancing?

Just joshing, babies..
Return of the SnizzlefishReturn of the Snizzlefish
Return of the Snizzlefish

Re-return to the Blue Lagoon, sans Jean Simmons or Brooke Shields
When Clown Fish Attack!When Clown Fish Attack!
When Clown Fish Attack!

Hey, that ain't Nemo! Oh crap! Cheese it!
Fijan GardenFijan Garden
Fijan Garden

Millions of years in the making..
My 8th Ride: IdealMy 8th Ride: Ideal
My 8th Ride: Ideal

Zach and Cody livin' the dream!
Headed West!Headed West!
Headed West!

Next stop, Vanuatu!


28th July 2008

Bula -eh?
Beautiful pics again and next time we're in the same city we'll throw around your culture questions.

Tot: 0.23s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 25; qc: 108; dbt: 0.1411s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.3mb