Going native


Advertisement
Cook Islands' flag
Oceania » Cook Islands » Rarotonga
May 19th 2013
Published: May 24th 2013
Edit Blog Post

Have you ever wondered how to crack an coconut open? Well, here is a guide on how to do it. First you need the nut itself. On these islands they are lying around all over the place. We just stopped an picked one up along the road.

Then you'll need a sharp stick. We found a steel bar used in concrete structures lying on the parking lot. That will do it! Stick the bar in the ground and use it to remove the fluffy cover of the nut. With a steel bar like this it takes some hitting and bending to remove it.

When you uncovered the nut you'll need a good rock with a bit of an edge to smash it open. Something from the garden will do just fine. The coconut has three "eyes" on one side and from it three lines are running along the nut to the other side. Give the nut a good hit with the stone right across one of these lines and it will crack open easily. If you are quick you can also capture most of the water in the nut.

Our Aussie neighbour saw Martin working on this nut in the garden and shouted out "Oi, he is going native!" By the way, the coconut tastes delicious sitting on the beach looking out over the ocean.


Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement



Tot: 0.08s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 10; qc: 49; dbt: 0.045s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb