Water


Advertisement
Cook Islands' flag
Oceania » Cook Islands » Rarotonga
May 18th 2013
Published: May 23rd 2013
Edit Blog Post

This week we are on the beautiful island of Rarotonga. Our bungalow is named Magic Reef and that is all true. Right down from our beach there is the reef, about 40 metres wide, with all its corals, shells and small crustaceans (every time you find a beautiful shell it is already claimed!). Not to forget the uncountable sea cucumbers.

Beyond this the dark blue ocean contiguously smashes its energy against the reef. We can never stop getting fascinated of this act. Collecting wind energy waves get built up over large distance on the open ocean. Only a part of them is visible, the major part is actually under water, going in circles. When this energy comes close to land and the circle can't be fulfilled any more the water rises up until it breaks down under its own weight. That is the wave. If it is windy at the coast the top of the waves can get blown away creating spray and foam.

On Rarotonga as well as other fantastic islands we have visited the waves create a very visible rolling movement along the reefs. Coming in from the ocean they break at some point and then roll on like small explosions. All accompanied by the typical roaring sound.

On the other side of the reef there is the exact opposite, the lagoon. We have told you about the origin of lagoons before, so no repetition. Here on Rarotonga there is the fantastic Muri lagoon with its four motus, islets. We have seen crystal clear waters before on our trip but Muri outrivals them all. It is the paradise dream of absolute turquoise clearness with the reflection of sun rays on the sandy bottom under your feet.

Also under water we enjoyed this quality. At a place called Sand River we went for a dive. Entering the water and looking down you could see the bottom 20 metres beneath crystal clear. A river had washed up sand at its outcome, moving massive stones aside. Today the river has ceased but the canyon structure is still there. We could investigate this unique landscape and saw a lot of fish that we had encountered before, but this time larger. The clear water gives you the impression that there actually is no water. Weightless you can flower wherever you want making moves that are impossible at land. Amazing!!!


Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement



Tot: 0.174s; Tpl: 0.017s; cc: 9; qc: 51; dbt: 0.1264s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb