Islands in the Sun


Advertisement
Cook Islands' flag
Oceania » Cook Islands » Rarotonga
February 8th 2012
Published: February 8th 2012
Edit Blog Post

We arrived at 6:30 am and as we walked off the plane the heat and humidity felt like we had a hot wet blanket thrown over us. Quite a contrast from the temperature on the aircraft. Why is it that they try to freeze you to death on any flight, you would think it costs extra to heat the cabin to a reasonable temperature. Anyway, that aside, Rarotonga is a stunningly beautiful tropical island surrounded by white sandy beaches with several lagoons to swim and snorkel in.



The pace of life is majestically slow and everyone seems very friendly, Yesterday we took the local bus ride into the capital Avarua. The bus route follows the only road on the island; one bus goes clockwise and the other anti-clockwise. The route round the island is only 32 Kilometers round trip and can be done in less than an hour. We arrived in Avarua and found the Police station and applied for our Cook Island Driving Licenses. These are required if you are to drive anything on the island. You will not believe we are driving a cabriolet vehicle that really turns heads as you drive along the road. Here in the Cook Islands they have an unusual approach to providing reclining seats, in that they are not bolted to the floor. It will do us fine as we are not in any hurry and are now really on Island time that is now 9 hours behind you. We decided to do some exploring and found a stunningly beautiful lagoon that we are planning to visit today for some sunbathing and swimming so more on that later.......


Additional photos below
Photos: 3, Displayed: 3


Advertisement



Tot: 0.093s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 11; qc: 63; dbt: 0.0555s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb