Day 8 - Losing a Day Midair - 17 & 18 February 2009


Advertisement
Cook Islands' flag
Oceania » Cook Islands » Rarotonga
February 17th 2009
Published: May 19th 2009
Edit Blog Post

A Final Ukelele SerenadeA Final Ukelele SerenadeA Final Ukelele Serenade

We were serenaded as we went through Customs at the Cook Islands airport before boarding the plane for home.

Tuesday 17th / Wednesday 18th February

After arriving at the airport at around midnight we checked in and finally left at 1.30 a.m. (Cook Islands time) after being serenaded by a gentleman playing the ukelele in the airport terminal. We felt very sad to leave and hope we will get back here some time in the future.

We had a great flight to NZ with hardly any turbulence and we all dozed most of the way before arriving in Auckland at 5.55 a.m. local time on Wednesday. Where had Tuesday gone? We only had an hour and a half of Tuesday!!

After a very quick look around Auckland Airport Jeni was able to purchase a paua shell toothpick holder and then we boarded our flight for Sydney at 6.30 a.m. The flight was also without any turbulence and we had breakfast on the plane. Sydney was very wet on arrival at 7.45 a.m. and we were so blessed as our bags were the first ones off the plane! Consequently we were able to catch the free shuttle from the international to domestic terminal immediately, and had morning tea before boarding the plane for Brisbane at 9.30 a.m.

Eventually we
Islands of Moreton BayIslands of Moreton BayIslands of Moreton Bay

Not quite the islands of Rarotonga or Aitutaki, but still welcoming and familiar!
arrived in Brisbane at 10.45 a.m. and caught the 11.30 a.m. airtrain. Then we dropped Mel off at Roma Street station for her 12.41 train to Nambour and we arrived home at 12.30 p.m. Sascha rang from Buds Beach in NSW within 3 minutes of us arriving home to make sure we got home safely - a lovely welcome home!

We had experienced another fantastic time in the Cook Islands!


Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement

Ships in Moreton BayShips in Moreton Bay
Ships in Moreton Bay

One of the many cargo ships in Moreton Bay
Moreton Bay "Highway"Moreton Bay "Highway"
Moreton Bay "Highway"

Another large ship in the channel of Moreton Bay.
Sandhills on Moreton IslandSandhills on Moreton Island
Sandhills on Moreton Island

The glistening sandhills of Moreton Island near Tangalooma
Fisherman's IslandFisherman's Island
Fisherman's Island

Just prior to landing we flew above Fisherman's Island. Nice to be home, Brissy!


Tot: 0.083s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 9; qc: 46; dbt: 0.0498s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb