vaka racing


Advertisement
Cook Islands' flag
Oceania » Cook Islands » Rarotonga
November 21st 2007
Published: November 21st 2007
Edit Blog Post

Vaka racingVaka racingVaka racing

The splash is 3 paddlers going over the side to make room for 3 fresh paddlers
Kia Orana blogger pals:
This one must be short - we're off to the Edgewater tonight to see the Island Show starring some of the young dancers I embarrassed myself with at dance practise last week. But I have to tell you about these amazing vaka (outrigger canoe) championship races going on. It's a yearly event and boats have come from all over - NZ, OZ, Fiji, Hawaii, and all over the South Pacific. They race different distances just beyond the reef - 6, 8, 10K and so on, culimating in a round-the-island monster this weekend. Sounds not so tough? Get this, not only do they battle the seas, every 15 minutes half the team hurls themselves out of the canoes. And 3 guys (or gals) in the water hop in and replace them. A chase boat loads and unloads the paddlers from the sea. It's simply amazing to watch. I spent some time "downtown" this aft after school and watched them practising the hurling and leaping. What athletes!
But now I must pedal back to the Kii Kii hoping there is hot water for my shower. Or even just water. Been a bit dodgy. But it's wonderful still.
I also
school boysschool boysschool boys

Two pals at recess
have a major chore tonight - each evening one of us has to write a journal of the day's activities which is read at our breakfast, along with a thought of the day. So I must sharpen my reportoiral skills and hope no one sues. 😉
Miss you all, although there is indeed something to be said for paradise....
😊
Linda

Advertisement



Tot: 0.389s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 10; qc: 62; dbt: 0.1768s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb